HELP!! Swap ballast to electronic ballast...

Golfnut

Can anyone verify my instructions to swap out a magnet ballast for a new electronic one?

A. Cut 1 & 2 and connect to ballast blue wire.

B. Cut 3 & 4 and connect to ballast blue wire.

C. What do I do with 3'???

D. Cut 5 & 6 & 7 & 8 and connect all 4 to the ballast red wire.

F. Connect black to black and white to white.

Does this look right?

THANKS!!!

Left.jpg

Right.jpg

WiringDiagram.jpg

Edited by Golfnut

This is how it looks to me.

Cut 2 and discard.

Cut 4,5,6,7 all connect to ballast red wire.

cut 3 in half, join both ends of three with with one and four. Attach to ballast blue wire.

_IF_ your sockets have both contacts joined the connection with 3 and 6 + 7 is redundant but souldn't hurt anything.

I should add while I ahve done a lot of this stuff for myself I am not a certified electrician. Use my advice at your own risk :) I'm almost 100% certain it is correct.

Thanks for the reply but there are TWO BALLAST BLUE WIRES...???

You're instructions only connect one BLUE wire...??

Oh I think you mean...

1+3 (half) to one ballast blue and

other 3 (half) to 4 to ballast blue... right???

Edited by Golfnut

I swap out ballasts at the workplace on a daily basis. Here is what you need to do. easy peasy

Cut #4, and insert it into the little slot of the tombstone by #1, as it is done in #3'

Install electronic ballast.

Red from ballast goes to #1 & #2

Blue from ballast goes to #5 & #6

Blue from ballast goes to #7 & #8

Then you splice your neutral(white), then your hot(black), and you're done. Make sure the fixture is grounded as electronic ballasts tend to be troublesome if they are not. Its always a good idea to put the neutral on first, and then the hot, As then you'd be doing two hot splices, increasing your exposure to electricity. It really doesn't matter though if you're not working on live circuits.

You can do it your way as well. This way just minimizes the clutter of wires when you're putting the cover back on.

cheers!

Well its WORKING!!!

Wow the T8 bulbs are a LOT brighter than my old T12's (because they are older). It was getting tired of replacing them all the time. The T8's should last much longer.

We'll see if this translates to much improved growth of my plants...

After all this ... the ballasts from the US cost $12 each and a fixture from wallmart costs $13. So $25 to do it. ... I just saw at HD yesterday they now have T8 shoplights for $29 ... oh well ...

THANKS again all for your help.

Regards,

Andrew

Brite lite in the NE sells ballasts for cheap, and bulbs.

I got 2 PC ballast, 5 bulbs, and all my plugs and hangers for just over $130...

I think the ballasts were $35 each, and the bulbs 7.15 each, and the plugs were like 4...

The reason i got 2 ballasts was to overdrive the each bulb.

Hey, no problemo :)

The nice thing about electronic ballasts is that you can run even smaller lights on 'em :) The lights that I use now are the T6 Lightnight Rod flourescent lights from Pisces. Even though they are T6's, which as the general rule goes, should be lower wattage than their larger diameter counterparts, they are higher in wattage and brightness. They are also cheaper than the Hagen Power-Glo lights.