DIY stands

Moogled

Well Neely, wishin you lived around here, cause from the looks of it, you are an accomplished craftsman! As for entering the market, I say giver', as it is out there- and just a FYI, I would NOT take it personally, I am up to my..well you know..I never started Majestic to make a million,(my prices don't reflect that, however) but enjoy the hobby, and help out where needed, and get to be kinda creative.

I am thinkin I have kinda seen your design..somewhere..maybe not? Just kidding, it is a huge from of flattery to think it resembles some of mine! (the Imperial has always been top seller)

I just built this for my 80 gallon this weekend.

It's all 2x4's and leftover 1/2" plywood that I used as the base. I sandwiched a layer of foam (used in camping pads) that I had lying around that I didn't use anymore (some people use white or pink styrofoam which works too).

I've used this design for all my DIY stands. I have one for a 90 and a 50 too.

neely, has an excellent design and in fact I tried that design too, but I found you have to be much more accurate in the vertical cuts, which I was not as good at.

I should answer the original question too...

I use 2x4 spruce from HD or Revy... I buy the "straighest" ones I can find, but I usually have to go to the "premium" studs to find straight ones. They're around $2.75 to $3.50 I think.

stand80.jpg

Edited by Golfnut

Another good one! Not that it applies to either of these examples, as they are plenty storng, but I think it is rather important to have FULL support at each leg. The way these ones are constructed, in theory you are relying on the shear strength of the screws to hold. Both of these could hold a tank, but for any others considering a DIY, little stuff like that could become important B)

Majestic_Aquariums is totally correct, my design relys on distribution of the weight to get "strength", and in reality only the screws are what is holding it up.

I built one using Neely's design a few years ago, but I could not get it to "sit" straight without "rocking", I mean my verticals were within 1/16", but that was not good enough. I found it "less" efficient too in terms of wood usage, but it is "far" stronger. Maybe if I had a table saw I could've done better... hehehe. B)

Andrew

Edited by Golfnut

Well Neely, wishin you lived around here, cause from the looks of it, you are an accomplished craftsman!  As for entering the market, I say giver', as it is out there- and just a FYI, I would NOT take it personally, I am up to my..well you know..I never started Majestic to make a million,(my prices don't reflect that, however) but enjoy the hobby, and help out where needed, and get to be kinda creative. 

I am thinkin I have kinda seen your design..somewhere..maybe not?  Just kidding, it is a huge from of flattery to think it resembles some of mine! (the Imperial has always been top seller)

i was thinking you needed an apprentice ;). this stand started out with a certain look on paper and it developed the way it did after many mistakes during construction. i tend to build things from my head as i go. By no means do i consider it in the ball park of your stands. if i had the money- you would be building me a crown jewel for the 230 :bow:

i know what you mean about the money. what this thing cost me makes me never want to do it again. there is no way i could make money from this kind of thing. Well, i guess i could if i didnt mind working for $1/hr

Edited by neely