Cycling CO2

vic622

So here are the latest test results:

Each test, except the 1st, was 24hrs after a ~25% water change.

Test result order:

today, (last week) Friday, Wednesday, 1st test

NO2: <0.1, <0.1, <0.1, 0.2

NH3: 5, 5, 5, 80 <- musta been wrong

PO4: 3, 3, 2, 3

KH: 5.0, 5.0, 4.5, 4.2

pH: 7.4, 7.5, 7.2, 7.4

Edited by vic622

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vic, I would do another test after a week of the last water change. Maintain regular feeding routine, and don't add any N and P based fertilizers. Your NO3 and PO4 levels seem to be fairly constant over the past 3 days, but let's not jump to conclusions ...

Second option is to increase the CO2 level to at least 20 ppm, and then add the remaining light power you took out previously. In this scenario you will need to bump the NO3 level up to about 20 ppm (KNO3) to be on the safe side. Test again NO3 and PO4 after a week ...

I'm assuming you verified your tests ...?

Yup, I'll keep it on the current schedule of water changes (2x per week) with testing to see if it stays at this level. I'll be moving in 2 weeks and at that time I'll consider whether to look at upping the CO2 and lights. I hope to see the levels stay consistant until then.

I'll post the results over the next 2 week before the move and hopefully things stay stable.

Baby steps before the big plunge :D

Vic, I would do another test after a week of the last water change. Maintain regular feeding routine, and don't add any N and P based fertilizers. Your NO3 and PO4 levels seem to be fairly constant over the past 3 days, but let's not jump to conclusions ...

Second option is to increase the CO2 level to at least 20 ppm, and then add the remaining light power you took out previously. In this scenario you will need to bump the NO3 level up to about 20 ppm (KNO3) to be on the safe side. Test again NO3 and PO4 after a week ...

I'm assuming you verified your tests ...?

Yup, I'll keep it on the current schedule of water changes (2x per week) ...

That's too often ... It takes about a week to capture the trend with some degree of reliability ... Is there a particular reason why you are doing WC's twice a week?

Yes, because of the fish load. I don't want the wastes to get elevated.

Until I get the move over with (2 weeks and counting) and my other tanks set up the fish load will need to remain high.

I also find that at this frequency of changes, the fish seem more happier (natural ?). If I let it go too much longer ie: 5-6 days between changes, they start to seem a bit lethargic. However, when I change the water they seem to pick up energy.

Incidently, I'm talking about 5gal changes in a 30gal tank.

What is the downside(s) to doing changes at this frequency?

quote name='Milan' date='Mar 6 2006, 09:40 PM' post='2071345']

Yup, I'll keep it on the current schedule of water changes (2x per week) ...

That's too often ... It takes about a week to capture the trend with some degree of reliability ... Is there a particular reason why you are doing WC's twice a week?

Incidently, I'm talking about 5gal changes in a 30gal tank.

What is the downside(s) to doing changes at this frequency?

No, there is no downside in frequent water changes. The only reason why I mentioned that is because it brings another variable in efforts to capture nutrients level trend, but it's possible to incorporate this into fertilization strategy as well ... It's just little more complex, ... that's all what it is.