Flashback to the jurassic!

street cypher

Awesome video, now I want some! Where can I get these and what am I looking at?

Polypteridae...in this particular case, Polypterus endlicheri endlicheri. Polypterus, or 'bichirs' are a type of primitive fish capable of, amongst other things, breathing armospheric air and efficient terrestrial locomotion. The most common and inexpensive species (and also one of the easiest to house, because of its smaller size...12") is the Senegal bichir, Polypterus senegalus senegalus, which can be found fairly frequently in LFSes in larger centres and usually sells for $5-$25, depending on size.

As you might have guessed, Polypterids are a specialty of mine...I currently own about 75 of them, covering 13 of the known species and locales.

Toirtis, the guys in the video are ~12". I have abunch of still pictures that show some side by side comparisons, makes it easier to compare the different variants. But even within each variant they will differ a little, so determining the exact locale is pretty hard. Toirtis, too bad you're so far away, i'd love and i mean LOVE to see your collection and setups

Froggie, as Toirtis stated they are bichirs. These particular ones came from Africa Via a middleman in Texas. http://www.rehobothaquatics.com/index2.html

You'll love the ornates, while a little more reclusive than other species, they are some of the better patterened species!

To be honest I already do! The first night here the large one decided to eat a member of a rather irritating victorian species that had been taking up tank space for awhile.

Of course now he's out of snacks since I gave away the rest of the group to someone. -roll-

I must say, I'm not opposed to getting a few more of the larger species and setting up a dedicated 150 gallon polypterid/oddball tank. I also have since noticed they had a senegalus at one of the local stores, which tempts me to go even further and setup two polypterid tanks. Maybe a 48 gallon for some P. sengegalus, a few ropefish and a black ghost knife. I've wanted to get a BGK for awhile anyhow to perhaps keep with my Rays, it's just a matter of getting it large enough it wouldn't be devoured, so this could serve as a growout.