Betta ate them

bozco

I put a bunch of Khlui loaches in with my betta and white clouds and the betta started attacking the kuhlis. I put the betta in a breeder trap so I would get the chance to set up some small hidnig spots for the khulis but he escaped from it while I was at school today. Its hard to count khulis but I have a very fat betta. Good thing I bought more than I needed I guess.

Will he keep this up? Or will he start to leave them alone.

I guess I should note, that until this weekend the Betta and the white clouds were together in a 5 gal and very content. But since moving them to the 20 gal (temp until the 10 is empty) the betta has been chasing the white clouds.

Now I'd have thought that he'd be more aggressive in the smaller tank. So whats with that?

Oh! And one more question.

Since bettas can live in small containers that never get the chance to complete a cyle, would that not make a betta a very good fish to cycle a tank with seeing as they can handle the poor water quality better than other fish? Or am I missing something?

And for anyone worried, I do fishless cycles anyway.

I believe that they should work for cycling you tank. All that they really need is declorinated water and regular water changes. So a weekly partial water change on a 10 gallon should do the trick to cycle the tank. I normally just use my Zebra Danios to cycle my tanks. But that shall be changing now that they are a part of my SE Asian biotope.