How did you start off in the the hobby?

nyb440

Started with a 200 g and no brains about 20 years ago. Knoing nothing about fish keeping a tank whos glass was not ment for water and away I went. First a friendly tank with lots of peacefull fish. Then the great Idea get some itsy bitsy oscars for feeders. Well 2 survived and the rest of the population became feeders. The tank was looking a little bowed and thought it might explode so when the oscars (fast food junkies)(pizza hot dogs ect.) got sick I decided the aquarium thing was done and turned it into a triarium. Halalooha little lizards every where. That did not last long sold it for the same amount I bought it for and got a 15 g LOL was satisfied. Sure now have 72 planted 29, 25,25, 15, 10 ,1 gal the 10 is empty at the moment but in the throughs of becoming a gupy tank. And guess whats coming home soon!!!! a 130 and a 75 good gosh it is time for someone to move out and make room for the fish in this house LOL. And you know the brain thing has not changed !!!!

The blue is a under water ice scape the next our new pet thanks Mathew to you and your lovely family. He survived just fine you can let the girls see him they were worried about him (or Her)

Edited by spcy

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a brief history.

standard goldfish or guppy marathons as a child.

kept a bed/bath betta duo throughout hs.

became seriously interested in the hobby at ps in 02.

massed many free setups from family and friends after moving out. (folks wouldn't allow over 10g. meh)

have stuck primarily to sa/ca cichlids.

i'm gonna unleash in 07 though lol

Edited by skinless

When I was little (6 or so) I had a betta that was taken care of by my mom, until one day the cat discovered she could knock the tank over to get a little fishy treat. For some reason I wasn't very traumatized though.

Being young and dumb and not really caring I thought the only types of freshwater aquarium fish were bettas and guppies, bettas had gotten old and my grandma bred guppies (not fancy or anything) so I thought they were boring plain fish. My uncle has always been a big fish/reptile guy but I always thought his tanks were saltwater. Probably because one of them was, and that was the only tank he ever really talked about being fresh or salt, so I just assumed they were all salt. And of course salt is much too complex for me.

Then I met Lyder, and came to his house, and he showed me his 44 gallon. It had some rainbows and I was kinda like whatever with that, but it also had a ghostknife, and those things are awesome. So in our early dating days I'd go look at his tank whenever I came over, and he'd get new stuff and I'd be all interested. Then I started picking out fish for his tank. Then I got my own tank (kept at his house even though I didn't live there at the time, no way would mom let me have a tank). Then I moved in and somehow we now have 6 tanks, including a 100 gallon reef tank (we're babysitting) and a 300 gallon ray tank (with a great big ghostknife named Kirby, because he's like a vaccuum when it comes to feeding time).

Edited by windeindoiel