crayfish

scrubby

Jonah (fatpuffer) is our resident crayfish nut, and has bred them successfully. PM him for any questions, and I'm sure he would be glad to help. :)

Congrats, by the way. :thumbs:

She might have bred with another male when she was in store. They can store sperm (via sperm plugs) for a month or more. They can use the sperm when they feel comfortable and ready.

OR

SHe just had the urge to lay eggs even though it is not fertilized.

What kind of crays is it? The eggs should be black and turn orange around the 2-3 week. If it turns white during the first week, she will eat the white egg.

My brown cray carried over 150 eggs. A few, maybe 10 turned white, and she just ate them. The rest grew up to be little crays. Separate the little ones after a week of being fully formed. Shake them off the mom because they will hang on her swimmerrettes.

Put them in a big tank with lots of hiding places.

Js

HAHAHA! We were typing at exact same time!

Js

She might have bred with another male when she was in store. They can store sperm (via sperm plugs) for a month or more. They can use the sperm when they feel comfortable and ready.

OR

SHe just had the urge to lay eggs even though it is not fertilized.

What kind of crays is it? The eggs should be black and turn orange around the 2-3 week. If it turns white during the first week, she will eat the white egg.

My brown cray carried over 150 eggs. A few, maybe 10 turned white, and she just ate them. The rest grew up to be little crays. Separate the little ones after a week of being fully formed. Shake them off the mom because they will hang on her swimmerrettes.

Put them in a big tank with lots of hiding places.

Js/ well greaat wife real happy (yeah says wife) wheredo we put her now / She is now in a 25gallon tank with one large snail and 2 huge feeder's Do we move her ? Her eggs are brown now, I have just noticed tham today.husband wondering would cichlids eat caviar as i get slapped

HAHAHA! We were typing at exact same time!

Js

Sounds like the eggs are fertilized. Usually they go from black to brown to orange.

She can stay in the tank. Just put lots of broken terra cotta pots and make lots of caves. She will not eat much during the next 4-5 weeks to prevent moulting. Have lots of covers because if she gets stressed, she might eat all the eggs.

Mine was in a 25 gallon as well (in my wife's 4th grade classroom), with 2 other crays and lots of feeder minnows and guppies. The guppies got assassinated at night by the other two crays. I put lots of caves so she moved around a lot because of the children staring and being loud.

You may see baby formed by 4 weeks. The higher temp i.e greater than 20 degrees, the faster the incubation period. After one week of fully formed babies, separate from mother as mom will see them as snacks.

The babies themselves are highly cannibalistic. You need to put lot of caves. I used broke pieces of eggcrate for them to hide in and climb.

Remember they need water movement so that the water is aerated. I use a small air pump to oxygenate the water.

Good luck.

Js

Sounds like the eggs are fertilized. Usually they go from black to brown to orange.

She can stay in the tank. Just put lots of broken terra cotta pots and make lots of caves. She will not eat much during the next 4-5 weeks to prevent moulting. Have lots of covers because if she gets stressed, she might eat all the eggs.

Mine was in a 25 gallon as well (in my wife's 4th grade classroom), with 2 other crays and lots of feeder minnows and guppies. The guppies got assassinated at night by the other two crays. I put lots of caves so she moved around a lot because of the children staring and being loud.

You may see baby formed by 4 weeks. The higher temp i.e greater than 20 degrees, the faster the incubation period. After one week of fully formed babies, separate from mother as mom will see them as snacks.

The babies themselves are highly cannibalistic. You need to put lot of caves. I used broke pieces of eggcrate for them to hide in and climb.

Remember they need water movement so that the water is aerated. I use a small air pump to oxygenate the water.

Hello, This is the wife.... How did this happen ? We have had her for 1 year at least and no other crayfish. Does this mean they are not fertilzed ? I am just in shock But I am so happy !

Thank-you for your help

Good luck.

Js

WOW! ONE YEAR! Well, never heard of a cray holding sperm for one year. If the brown eggs turn white, then it is not fertilized. If it turns orange, it is and I have no explanation on how...did not know they can potentially hold it for that long.

What kind of crayfish is it? brown or blue? Where did you buy it? Was is a feeder cray?

Js

WOW! ONE YEAR! Well, never heard of a cray holding sperm for one year. If the brown eggs turn white, then it is not fertilized. If it turns orange, it is and I have no explanation on how...did not know they can potentially hold it for that long.

What kind of crayfish is it? brown or blue? Where did you buy it? Was is a feeder cray?

Js

brown crayfish, I am not sure whether he was a feeder or not. I think I got her a pices.

Thanx again I will watch her closely