Frozen Blood Worms - Choronimids seed Tank

I recently purchased a package of frozen Blood Worms. When I got home I thought I would treat a couple of tanks. The strigta (Pike Cichlids I have got some- didnt eat them) leaving the larvae in the tank and 2 days later I find loads of castings with very small worms crawling around. I put this under a microscope and behold live blood worms, wth. <_<

I have some mixed emotions about this happening. The wife will have a bird if they hatch. If this happens in frozen food supplies, what else could we be growing or introducing to our tanks....mmmm...mmm. Supposedly frezzing should kill parasites....mmmm. doubting charley.

Hopefully not West Nile inffected mosquito larve...doubtful, but who knows, Tb is a possibility (mostly through wild caught fishes) but a frozen food, what else. I guess we need to be careful. Especially with syphoning water with the mexican credit card method or with open wounds on our hands or arms..

What does everyone think about this topic. Any good or horror storys are welcomed.

Cheers

Garhan :ml:

Could be bad, or not. As I mentioned to you, I have had daphnia hatch in my tanks before of course nothing wrong with that. As we are all aware of though, strange things come in all kinds of foods. Ever since feeding the frozen daphnia I got those water fleas as well. They haven't been a problem to my fish though as they hop around the water surface and across the glass mostly. Bad part with them is that they get the killi's jumpin a little higher than they need to, as high as the carpet some might say. Anyways, both the daphnia and the bloodworms are suppose to be raised and not collected for packaging, I suppose under either circumstance eggs could be collected and accidentally packaged. As with daphnia maybe chronomid eggs can be preserved and hatched the same way. Ahhh, my dream come true would be to create a hatching chamber with a nice sliding tray to collect midges all year long. Anywhoos, back to reality I think it should be as safe as flake, then again I have also heard of brine shrimp flake hatching in a brackish tank from a fellow on petfish a while ago.

I know of no other company except the store you bought the bloods from that carries the brand, to set things on the even scale though, they are a great bloody red with few empty skins and as I've said even hikari has hatched a few buggers in my tank. Oh yeah, as for nasties coming from out of nowhere, the salt and garlic mix I used on those parasites has worked incredibly, I did manage to do a scraping and under the microscope they looked like an anchor worm to the best of my comparison, the sore around the worm was alot bigger than the worm by far. Anyways the fish are now healing under a good dose of vitamin B12 and are even attempting a spawn as of last night. Not sure which was more effective, the salt or the garlic but I am willing to bet on the latter. Knowing the fast effects of B12 though they should be completely wound free by tomorrow. As for the cause? I still have no idea as no other tank was ever infected so I am ruling out food of any kind.

It's actually very cool, I do hope you atleast find a jar with a good fitting tight screen and hatch some just for science sake. Reminds me of when I place a tonne of mosquito larvae into my tank as holiday food before a vacation, I need to go no further into that story atleast after I explain that geophags are not very good at catching small insects, who knew.

Here is a follow up to the choronomids...Last night the wife a kiddlets were chasing around the house squishing a unknow (to them) fly that looked like a mosquitoe. I kept my mouth shut of coarse except for I comment, when asked by my charming wife asked "what kind of mosquitoe is that Gary/..I replied, with the flyfishing side of my brain, "a #18".

I am not sure if I ducked that one yet. ;)

Garhan :ml: