Lighting My Tank

thefishdude

What is all yalls opinion on flourescent bulb lighting fixtures over a 4 ft. tank? I was looking at T-8 high intensity dual 48" ers. I would really like to be able to buy one of the cheapo ones at Can Tire for around $40. Any problems with this. The specialty bulbs that you can buy at the local aquarium shop are T-8's arent they. I was also told I would need an "electronic ballast" to power one of these aqua lights. These lights seem to fit the bill don't they?......

:well:

If I may fihdude, what are the dimension on your tank other than the 48" length. and how many gallons of water does it hold. One dual striplight in a T-8 is likely not enough to grow more than low light plants, crypts, java moss, fern, anubias and some others. Usually but not always a 4 foot T-8 would be 32 watts/ tube. There would then be only 64 watts of light on the tank. It is usually recommended that if you wish to grow plants that need medium, high, or very high light target between 3 to 4 watts per gallon. You may get away with a second set at 128 watts to grow some fairly nice plants that are considered medium to difficult in demand.

plant demand by tropica is rated as following; very easy, easy, medium,hard,very hard, and difficult. Although all plants are real cool, I do find the more difficult and very difficult plants not very common in many peoples tanks and that is probably why these tanks really stand out.

cheers,

garhan :ml:

I will be running a 48"x 24"x 18" - 90 gallon tank. I will not be putting any plants into this tank for the time being so really all that Im worried about is how it looks. Currently all I have over my 30 gallon tank is a single 18" 35 watt bulb, and it's fairly well lit. Again, no plants in there currently, but as for aesthetic purposes, Im thinking that the dual 48" T-8's would throw enough light for what Im planning. (Oscars)

:smilebig:

I would agree with that, especially since your not growing plants. I purchased last winter a T-8 cold weather fixture from CT (Canadian Tire) for , dont quote me now...$32.00 and change. It wasnt very much.Fixture has 2 aprons on it and would easily either lay well on top of glass lid or fit into a DIY canopy. Comes with a pull start and will also work on a timer. I have this on a 48" X 16" x 18" Tall. Not as big as yours but will do a good job lighting up my Rainbows.

Garhan :ml: