Making a lid/top

Mighty Prawn

What are some different ways to make a lid/top for a tank? I thought my 180 would come with a glass top of some kind, but it didn't, so now I gotta come up with something.

Obviously it has to be clear so the light can get through.

I checked out some material at Home Depot/Rona, their acrylic is crazy expensive. I am going to call some glass shops and see about having one made, but I have a feeling that will be costly as well.

Any other materials to suggest? I found some light fixtures for shoplights that had a clear plastic sheet fixed into them, but it doesn't seem like you can buy just the plastic seperately.

-Hideo

What's the best time to call and speak to him? I've called a few times before and just sort of got left alone on hold.

-Hideo

Try between 8pm-9pm...usually quietish then...or anytime after 5pm Wednesday is usually good.

Wayne's a hard guy to get hold of, but it's worth the effort. He made one up for me for my 90, with a cut-out for some raised plumbing in the back corner, and hinged both front and back. It took me a week to get it but it turned out perfect. He's definitely the guy to go to.

I'm more interested in a good deal really, but having spots cut in the back would be nice, though I'd probably only need 2 small squares about 1 square inch each.

Gonna try and call tomorrow, but have some friends who have other friends who own a glass shop, so may be able to get a nice deal from them.

-Hideo

• 3 weeks later...

I know a lot of people in the ERAS (Edmonton reptile and amphibian society) get glass cut at Crystal Glass for the tops of their rubbermaid containers, to use at the shows as display tanks. They told me that Crystal Glass is pretty cheap, especially for smaller tanks because they can use recycled peices. But, seeing as you're covering an 180 gallon, it would likely be a little more...