Krib babies

KTV

I thought I was going to have some Krib babies to share with you guys but all the eggs dissapeared this morning, I first noticed the eggs on Saturday night, been checking up every day. All off a sudden this morning they all dissapear. If I had known I would have removed the eggs from the tank.

Does any one have any idea why they might go and cannibalize on their own eggs.

Never remove krib eggs!!! This only causes them to care for their fry less in the future. Even the wild nigerian kribs I had ate atleast the first 2 spawns after that they are amazing parents, beaten out by few other cichlids and almost as good as convicts. Let them eat their eggs for the first few runs, often those eggs were not fertile anyways so they just clean the site once the eggs start to rot. I have had kribs that ate their first 4 spawns raise 20 fry to maturity in a tank which I regularly fed fry to. Among their tankmates, Satanoperca leucosticta, 3 clown loaches, A pair of convicts, two salvini and 6 cichlasoma nicaraguense oh and a pair of bristlenose plecos. That is what I call busy defenders. And I forgot the 6 angelfish some of the better fry eaters.

post-35-1097123980

I have awesome news!!! The parents didn't actually eat the eggs but rather movied them to another location. They hatched yesterday and are swimming around with the parents. They are adorable!!!

There's gotta be atleast 50+. But now what the heck am I supposed to do with them all when they get bigger?

I have to learn how to take aquarium pictures.

KV

Congradulations ... pass out the cigars!!!

They just wanted some privacy :smilebig: :smilebig: :wub:

Quote>There's gotta be atleast 50+. But now what the heck am I supposed to do with them all when they get bigger. <

One suggestion - let them grow, take care of them and then cull the not-so-good-ones. Part of being a hobbiest. :wub: Sometimes just natural selection of the fittist preveils. Observe their behaviour, the family order.

Can kribs have more than a generation in the same tank?? I understand some species allow for many generations to cohabitat and even take over parenting duties.

Smokey

B)