Painted Backgrounds Ideas Wanted

I'm setting up a new 50 gal tank shortly. I'd like some alternatives to the standard backgrounds you can buy. I'm thinking of painting it. Does anyone have any ideas on interesting painting ideas - I heard there are some "faux finish" paints that can look quite nice and create a textured finish - any ideas or suggestions welcome!!

Not sure how it would work on glass, but we painted our dining room with a sued paint - looks pretty cool. It actually has grains of sand in it to give a textured look.

We lucked out and found one by Ralph Lauren in the mistint section at HD - $9 for the can!!

I've always used krylon spraypaint which is designed to adhere to glass. Use either dark blue or black for the best results. One really nice effect that can be obtained is to layer it to create a gradient from a dark bottom to a bluer top. I did this on a few tanks and it’s by far my favorite. Only downside is if you don’t do it properly then it looks funny.

Acrylic paint also works well if you want to paint an actual scene on the glass. Though I would reccomend doing it on a piece of plexi or acrylic cut to your tank in case you want to change it later on.

-Hideo