Juvenile Venustus Holding

Molino

Just a question for you all. I'm new to Malawi cichlids, but I've got a tank set up with some Venustus, Moori, Electric Yellows, etc. All fish are fairly small with the largest being close to 3".

I noticed yesterday one of my female Venustus (~2.5") holding eggs in her mouth :) I know that for her first time breeding, sucess rates are not very high which is fine. I don't plan to try and seperate her and/or raise the fry, at least not this time, but am curious as to how long she'll hold the eggs/fry if they are viable. FYI: The eggs are an orange colour.

Thanks

She will hold for about 3 weeks, the eggs usually hatch between 3-5 days.

She will hold anywhere from 3-4 weeks. The longest i've ever had a female hold was 33 days though.

If the eggs aren't fertilized the females usually hold then for a couple days and then swallow/spits them. But if the eggs are orange it sounds like their fertile. Sometimes it takes the female a couple tries before they get the hang of holding though.