Started small nano

tc51

OK so I have given a small nano a try I have just put it together and curing the live rock.

I believe it is a 12 gal I think I will have to thin out the rock once it has cured. I have a seio 620 pump the tank has a small filter in the back[see pic] small twin tube lighting [see pic] 50 wt e.j. heater. I used Red Reef Crystals Reef Salt sg reads 1.021 I have taken no water readings yet too soon I think.

So after checking the pictures, could you please tell me if I have missed anything in the initial setup, and also what should I be looking for in the next few weeks.

Thanks guy's first time in salt of any type.

Tom

post-26-1145582142_thumb.jpg

post-26-1145582159_thumb.jpg

post-26-1145582176_thumb.jpg

post-26-1145582216_thumb.jpg

post-26-1145582251_thumb.jpg

Edited by tc51

Hi Tom ,what r r running in the filter??

Yuo might see a small ammonia spike from the die off from the rocks

I would wait 4-5 weeks before you add snails, crabs, inverts, add fish last :ph43r: imo

what is your lighting???

btw nice nano!!!! I would also bring up your salinity to 1.024-1.025

Hi Tom ,what r r running in the filter??

It had several trays with sponge, I removed them and am just ruining the filter without anything just to add more aeration I was under the impression by what I had read so far that I would not require a filter the rock would act as the bio filter.

Do you think I should have a common type filter ruining.

Thanks Connie.

Tom.

hey Tom

I my opinion I would get rid of those thray all together.

When I set up my little 8 gal. I took those three trays out and got some Cheato to place back there.

Also depending on what you are thinking of keeping in these tanks, a seio 620 might be too high of flow. You can also get actinic bulbs for these tanks, I think it makes a nicer color to the lights.

The tank is an 8 gal, but works really well. Here's a pic of mine its been set up for over three months and haven't had any real issues with it. Mind you, I dont keep corals in it either, just one really sour disposition Dottyback.(see pics).

HTH

post-82-1145735900_thumb.jpg

post-82-1145735926_thumb.jpg

Edited by JSTR