How to take pictures?

KTV

How does everyone take such beautiful pictures of their tanks.

If I turn the flash on I get nasty reflection in the picture. And when I don't the picture turns out blurry.

Could someone maybe point me out to the right kinds of settings and method to take a couple of nice pictures?

Here's a couple of samples of the picture I've taken. They're pretty crappy.

I am using a Pentax Optio S4.

post-23-1097480382

KV_ using a flash syncs the shutter with the light and "stops the action"

NON-flash - a slower shutter speed may be selected by the cameras available light, sensor readings.

If the camera has a "sports" feature>>>used for fast action , higher shutter speed... try it.

Smokey

Have you used a photo editor for your digital photos. Such as adobe photo shop. it is available free online or you can purchase advanced version with all the bells and whistles.

The other things to take care of is to shoot your pic at a 10-20 degree angle when using a flash facing glass. this will elimanate the back flash. you may need to play with the angles. Or if you do not use your flash you can adjust most digital cameras +1 or +2 light settings or down -1 or -2 from 0. Darn I can remember the name now. I will get back to you on that item.

post-23-1097992843

I have never been able to get my pics to turn out if i use a flash. They always look washed out or have a flash spot. When i take pics i put as many lights on the tank i can. Then i turn out all the room lights. I have also found that a tripod has helped out alot. I turn off the flash and usually just use the auto mode but have tried out different settings.

So here my tips

tons of lights on the tank

no room lights on

tripod

and be patient

I can take hundreds of pics and only come out with a few good ones.

Best picture taking advice:

No flash - if you can't turn it off - use duct tape to black it out.

Take pictures at night in a dark room (only tank lights)

Use a tripod / stack of books/chair etc. Something stable - your hand will shake too much.

Clean the glass inside and out several hours prior to taking pictures - make sure there's no water spots. (unless your name is andy and you like posting pictures of algae)

For overall tank shots - look for a 'sports' setting. Closeups - use a closeup or macro setting.

it's better to move the camera closer to the tank, than to use a 'digital zoom'

Expect to take 100+ shots for every 2-3 good ones, definitely play with settings... each camera and user is different, various settings work well for some poorly for others.

Andy