eel barrier

dunl

I have been wanting to set yp an eel tank for some time now, and of course it is always mentioned to me to make it escape proof. So I got to wondering.....is there some kind of an eggcrate/screen type of material that could be used to create a barrier at the top of the tank and sit on the ledge of the trim, instead of relying on the top (which most are not escape proof)?

I was thinking if I could use something to create a barrier before the eel could reach the top, then it would be more escape-proof. Something that could be modified and cut to allow for filter outlets (thin AC), but still be strong enough to support it's own weight across the top of the tank.

Thanks,

Dunl

The light diffusers from the double florescent light fixtures are 11 1/4 " wide and will sag somewhat in the middle after a while. If the tank is too wide cut them the other way so you can fit them in across.

An idea... modify to fit you're needs:

Take the eggcrate for lighting, and cut it to fit INSIDE and up under the trim... drop it in diagonally and then wiggle it to fit so it comes up and sits against the trim. Either use something like a twist-tie or like to make hangers that come back out of the tank and hook over the trim... or cut small blocks (like 2"x2" squares) of styrofoam to go under the eggcrate... basically the eggcrate would then float at the top of the water, and if the level in the tank was kept up, then it would be completely jammed under the trim.

The eel would be locked in, while water from the HOB filter, for example, would still pass through completely unhindered. Pain in the @$$ to take out to clean the tank, but it may be easier to deal with moving the crate around once a week, than spend a coupld hours trying to find which piece of furniture the dead eel is under.

I actually used the needlepoint plastic sheets, which can be easily cut to modify around any opening you have, then taped tight against the lid. Seems secure so far.

Really simple a 2 to 2 1/2" eurobrace around the tank.

Most eels will not go up the middle of the tank, they more swin up the glass then over.

Or any screening across the opening will work, remember if its not secure they can push it out of the way.

Not a common issue but still a possibility.

HTH

This guy was jumping 4-5 inches out of the bag at my hand....I'm thinking the euro brace might not work.

It would work on my freshwater moray, though. :)