Raising angel fish

bozco

Any pointers?

I have a male/female pair, they have spawned once in a community tank but I did not rescue the eggs, and the male spawned with another female last year, again in a community tank and I didn't save the eggs.

Now that I have space I'd like to try for some fry.

Any pointers on conditioning the pair? Should I do it seperately or together?

Will having khuli loaches in the tank endanger the eggs or the fry?

I've heard that the eggs can 'go bad' before they hatch, how do I prevent that?

So if anyone has raised these or simliar fish, or knows a good website, please let me know.

Thanks

This is what worked for me. They were in a 25 gallon with a UG filter. The pair Spawned on the Up lift tubes and raised the eggs them selves. After the fry became free swimming (not wiggler free swimming) you can either leave them with the parents or put them in a 10 gallon. I use tens because of the small size and it will allow you for a higher food density. I then feed newly hatched brine shrimp, or powdered flake. No other fish were in that tank and only live plants were used. If you are seriouse about breeding them i would use a 25 gallon BB tank with a sponge filter and a Ter-Cota spawning cone. As for conditioning i used tap water and fed the pair high quality flake foods 2 times daily. I fed until their bellies looked like one big ball. lol. funny site to see. If you use a BB tank then there is no need for any other fish in the tank. Although the loaches shouldnt hurt the fry. As for going bad, what do you mean by this? Like go fungusy or what? Sometimes if it is a new pair (2 or 3 spawnes) then it may take a little paractice for the pair to get it right (parenting and fanning). Give them time. If the air spawned 3 times and they eat the eggs (all the eggs) every time you may want to speperate the parents once they lay. I have raised eggs with no parents if you want to know how let me know. A to induce a spawnig feed very heavy for 5 days, raise the temp up to 84 degrees, then do a 20 percent water change with cooler water. This sould get them spawning.