Breeding Crayfish?

Molino

I've got three Blue Crayfish all in seperate tanks at the moment and I just noticed today that one of them now has eggs under her tail. I know these aren't fertilized as she has been alone in this tank for a long time, but if I introduce a male from another tank would they get along?

I know before I had two in the same tank for awhile, but had to seperate them as they looked like they were in a deathmatch. Or would the fact that the female is carrying eggs (and in the mood :w00t:) help in them getting along? She's only in a 10 gallon tank.

Thanks

People have had success keeping a male and a harem of crays in large enough tanks with lots of hiding places. I had 2 together, and I had the rocks set up so they had a little door, and they'd pile up shells and gravel there to guard themselves. Worked out good. More space is better, I think 10g might be too small, unless it's just a few days to get the magic happening.

-Hideo

Crays can store sperm for a surprisingly long time...mine was alone for few months and had eggs. Initially I presume that it was not viable but SURPRISE...babies!

Good luck with yours!

Js

P.S. Keep her by herself...orange eggs usually means fertilized.

Edited by fatpuffer

Yes, good luck!!! I know a friend of mine who breeds the electric blue lobsters and a few of his pointers:

1) make sure there is a ot of hining places e.g. PVC tubes, rocks, or pieces of wood

2) once the female has dropped the babies, take out the female

3) when the babies grow, make sure you seperate the largest ones otherwise they eat the smaller ones.

I have not bred them myself but that's what he says. He's got lots!

• 6 years later...

Yes I have heard of this before,she will probably molt and the eggs will fail.i hear this is a common problem in breeding crays.

But if you search the Internet enough I'm sure there is someone that has figured out how to hatch them without the parent.

I'm thinking maybe a egg tumbler for mouth brooding cichlids or something

Edit-spelling

Edited by Sprucegruve