Mystery red-ish eggs ... moldy food?

Aaron

Today I noticed some some wierd looking stuff stuck to the inside areas of a water lettuce I have floating around in my pond. They are little red spheres, surrounded by clear goo. There are maybe five of them in total. It looks exactly like the floating food I feed to the goldfish in the pond, but slightly water-logged, and covered in snot. It's either that ... or some kind of eggs ... insect maybe?

Can't get a digital picture because my digi-cam is in Edmonton!

Any thoughts?

:beer:

Could be snail eggs... or it could just be rotting food. Are you feeding too much? You probably don't need to feed everyday, as there are quite a few insects out now.

Hey jvision you have jogged my memory. When I bought the plants, the store employee mentioned that they often have snails with them, and when I was reading about pond maintenence, it warned of plants carrying snails. We had a snail infestation before, but they never seemed to do any damage. My fish are much smaller than the ones I previously had, and I have live plants growing now, is there anything to worry about, or should I leave them be?

Thanks for the quick response!

Most snails are OK. They generally don't do more damage than the plants can handle. They'll do a good job of handling excess food, and other 'food-type' stuff that gets in the pond.

Snails will generally breed to a sustainable population - that is they'll number to the amount of food that's available... which can be quite a bit!

With big eggs like you've mentioned, they'll probably be bigger snails, which means they'll be easier to remove.