PLywood Flicks

wchfsu

k j-rock heres the first aquarium I tried my hand at its 8ft long * 24 wide * 17 high

I used potable epoxy from Cloverdale Paints (which was the only place in Medicine Hat that carried any type of potable epoxy). The paint was quite expensive at 74 bucks a gallon, we're gettin a home depot so I hope i can find it cheaper there. I think the 1/4 inch glass sheet ran me about 60, and the 3/4inch plywood another 75 bucks. Then all the other stuff which was silicone, screws, glue, sandpaper, lighting was around 100. So if anyone out there is considering building a plywood tank :thumbs: go for it cause its fairly easy to build (if you have another hand to help) and the cost is relativley low as opposed to buying a glass or acrylic tank.

180 Gallon Plywood

post-23-1098125611

That is pretty cool tank. I have seen several plywood tanks in the past. They are so versitile in design and size, relative to cost. I relly liked the mosaic finish. It sure leads a person to believe that you can really diverify the exterior image to fit any decor in the home or for that matter in a outside seasonal tank.

Cheers,

Garhan :ml:

On both tanks there is a 3 inch border around the glass, I havent had any problems with the samller one bowing at all, but with the larger one I had to screw in a 9 inch peice of 3\4 in the middle top part to stop the bending. I've seen others use a cable that you can tighten to stop that, n i'd like to try that on the next one cause I think it would look a whole lot better.

Yeah with plywood tanks you can build them and decorate them to suit your needs, I think there are many different finishes you can play around with, hardwood, tile, paint, stonework, metalwork, or even use a more expensive plywood like oak, cherry, ne of that shat would look incredible.

Anyone else with a plywood tank should post a flick cause the only other ones I've seen are on the GARF website, so hook us up to see what others have done :thumbs:

I have put mine on hold due to the space that I have available here at the moment. I have the Glass and wood in storage here just waiting on the money to move before trying to get them ready to be put together. I'm going for 2 that are 60"Lx30"Dx30"H (Aprox. 250 Gallons.) I'm planning on using a 2x4 frame on the outside just for an extra safety feature.