Fluval FX5 vs Eheim 2080 Pro 3

RD.

I just hooked up my FX5 and i have to say.

Negative side:

(1)With all the media in the filter it certainly is no 925gph! I would say probably around 400gph.

(2)Hoses need to be longer

(3)Hoses need to be modified to fit on a large tank.

Plus side:

(1)It probably is even quieter than my Eheims.

(2)Very inexpensive

(3)Extremely easy to operate

Over all i would buy this filter again, and probably will.

Most manufacturers rate the GPH of their filters via testing with zero media. This was mentioned in the link above:

FLOW RATE

Manufactuers rate their filters by the maximum produced by the pump under ideal conditions without media and things like hoses which isn'tvery helpful in the real world. Most cannisters seem to get less then 50% of their rated flow capacity when used in the real world but both these filters did better then that.

The Fluval showed a flowrate of 1991 litres per hour when full of media and connected which is about 57% of its rated pump capacity of 3500 l/ph but the Eheim did even better giving 1207 litres per hour out of its possible 1700 l/ph for a amazing 71% !

This still gives the Fluval a nearly 800 litres per hour flowrate advantage when used in real life situations but filtration is more then flow alone its also about capacity.

Yep i have been a Eheim posterboy for 15 years, but when you can get such a large canister for such a low price. then it's a no brainer.

And the design of the filter is great.

All water must flow through the media. Not like the old Fluval canister where it could bypass the media and get pumped back into the aquarium unfiltered.

It's not the best filter, but it's the best for the money.