Fry Hatching

sharon

post-690-1150515561_thumb.jpg:thumbs: Sorry, best picture I can get. This is the mom, the dots in the shell are fry and egg parts

At this moment, we have Brichardi fry hatching. I was just wondering what was happening around one of the shells we brought back from South Carolina as the Brichardi were being extra vigilant in they're home area.

There seems to be what I can best descibe as possible shell casings and very tiny fry moving around them. The mom is watching them and if one of the fry come out of the shell she picks them up and spits them back in. Very interesting.

Edited by sharon

What other fish do you have in the tank with these?

IME, it won't be long before the birchardi take over the tank and are willing to fight for their babies. Don't let their size fool you. When we had birchardis that bred we had a daffodil as well that ganged up with the bichardis to fight off all other fish in the tank from getting near the babies. Amazing to watch though the fry are like a little cloud and when the mom says they go down all at once. Very interesting to watch.

I hope all your fish survive :D

Good Luck!

Amy

• 2 months later...

Haha congrats. My brichardi and daffodil breed together every 3 months and i always have way to many babies. Brichardi always get super agreesive at this time for me and take about 3/4 of the tank for themselves attacking anyone that goes anywhere near the babies. But i find it really interesting how some of the juveniles from batches before take over the responsibility of watching the babies and scaring others off while the parents just hang out. Its like a big brother protecting all his little siblings. Its funny and really interesting to watch. So wehn you frist batch grow up the second one is more exciting. :D