Wild water plants?

Barracuda-m

Hi, I took my kiddies to the lake this weekend, and they found some really cool underwater plants. Some that look just like the ones I have in there already!

Would it be safe to put into my tank? How would I treat them before to kill off any crap they might have picked up?

And also, thank you to Fatpuffer for the crays! They hate everybody and are thriving :)

Well my biggest concern would be that the temp they're used to isn't going to be anything like the temp you're going to put them into, so they might not be able to live in it.

When I add wild plants I just rinse them off, then I watch the tank closely. Last year I discovered a leech living in the filter.

Some people treat their plants w. a mild bleach solution - between 2-5%, I believe, and only for 30 seconds or less. Follow that up w. a good rinse under the tap.

If you are picking up millfoil, or anything w. very fine leaves, bleaching is not an option. I would work on lillies, and more harty plants.

Otherwise, I'd set them up in a quaranteen tank for a few weeks. I'd probably rinse them under the tap and do 100% WCs every few days... just to make sure.