anyone here have frontosa?

piranha_guy_dan

personally myself i have 7 wild caught Cape nangu frontosa also known as (neon blue). 2 males and 5 females.

the males are 8 inches each and the females are 5-6 inches each.

it is a breeding group and ive only had them 2 weeks and within the first week i had a female holding but eggs were not fertile because the tank hadnt astablished an alpha male yet so neither male was settled in enough to fertilize and she swollowed the eggs.

i am working on getting another species of frontosa and setting up a 100 gallon tank for that group but im not sure which species yet and how many. im thinking either mpimbwe or else a zaire species like kitumba, moba or kapampa.

here is a couple pics of my Cape Nangu frontosa and there is lots more pics on my site at the link in my signature :)

feel free to post your pics and species

Dan

post-555-1151911032_thumb.jpg

post-555-1151911111_thumb.jpg

post-555-1151911629_thumb.jpg

post-555-1151911721_thumb.jpg

post-555-1151911835_thumb.jpg

post-555-1151911871_thumb.jpg

Edited by piranha_guy_dan

My nine mpimbwes range from 5 inches to 9 inches but I don't know the gender. The smallest half of them are 18 months old, the others probably 3 years old.

if thats your mpimbwe in your avatar pic that this is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

do yours breed yet or no? any pics to share? are they F1 or do you know?

i have 8 F1 zaire blue frontosa. not sure M/F ratoi yet. still alittle small

they really are nice, but like every frontosa, complete babies.

i've kept them with guppies and bettas. they get along quite nicely.

i just put them in my show tank so their color is starting to come out.

they are just about at the age.

also, i was wondering, wat is the difference between the zaire species?

zaire species tend to be more blue also meaning they are more sought after. there are more then 1 varient of zaire frontosa tho, you are likely to have one of the main 3 called moba,kapampa or kitumba.

post pics of them if you have some, i wont likely be able to tell which is which varient or anything but would still be nice to see them :)

Dan

• 3 weeks later...
i know a guy selling Group of 4 seven stripe frontosas ranging from 4 1/2 to 6 1/2 inches long. found him on the internet no pix though

they are kigoma, whats the price and are you thinking of getting them? if so ask what the ratio of male and female is out of the 4. you want at least 2 females 3 would be ideal