Unexplained death

wandj

I seem to be having a tough time keeping wild females Lwandas alive, and one wild male for that matter.

I have lost a total of one male and 3 females.

I just lost the last female last night.

She was healthy when I bought her, which has now been about two months now. She had a brood and spit out her babies. All babies fine and not lost any. I let her stay with her brood for about a week and a half and caught her and put her back in the home tank. She was the biggest female I had so figured she could take care of herself, but I noticed she had nipped fins after a few days. I separated her with a tank divider and she had a log and her own dither fish. She was by herself this way for a week and seemed to be doing fine. Last night she was swimming a bit like she was drunk and breathing slow and hard. And slow gasping at the surface the odd time. Now, she was the only one in this tank afflicted. All the other Lwandas and dithers are perfectly fine. I even just did a routine water change a few days ago and I am sure it is not a water quality issue as my fish are always treated to lots of water changes. This fish was dead this morning, I expected that, but I don't know why. Post mortem she did not look any different except her body turned a bit pale, but no signs other than that. I lost a wild female a few months ago the same way, but she died in her quarantine tank.

Anyone see this happen? What gives? I rarely ever lose a fish due to unexplained death so this has me stumped.

All my other Peacocks of different species have never been affected this way, just some of my wild Lwandas.

Thoughts?

Might be something parasitic? Something they picked up in the trasnfer from the wild-->holding tank-->shipping-->holding tank-->wholesaler tank-->shipping... yadda yadda.

Might have been a species-specific disease they catch in the wild, and survive fine, but w. all the moving and stress, it got to them.

These are all just speculations - I really have no idea.