crayfish

joeysgreen

Thanks for the crayfish thread below, it was really interesting. I've wanted to breed crayfish before as feeders but heard it was difficult. Are they difficult to keep? I know nothing of water quality, would like to learn, but I somehow just can't latch onto the knowledge.

Thanks for your help :)

Ian

Not sure about breeding but they are easy to keep. I have my blue cray in a 15g, regular tap water and do nothing special to the tank. The cray tank also gets neglected sometimes and can go a while without water changes, so i think they are pretty hardy. One thing you need to watch out of is them climbing ou tof the tank. So covering all holes, no matter how small, need to be covered. I cut some of the corrogated(sp?) plastic stuff to fit around my HOB filter and back of the hood.

Basically easy to care for, not really different then fish. Tankmates can be an issue sometimes. It depends on the cray if you can keep them with other fish. Some will eat all tankmates, some don't.

Crays are very hardy. They can survive in tanks with water and a big rock for them to climb on, no filter needed. I have one in a 5 gallon with nothing but a rock. Loves the rock and loves his guppies!

Js

EDIT: IF you do not have filter or airstone, make sure the big rock is exposed to air...ie. sticking out of water somewhat so the cray can get o2.