northern south american plants

joeysgreen

Hey everyone, I keep a large aquatic frog, pipa pipa that is native to northern south america (Amazon and Orinoco basins). I would like to work at setting it up in a more naturalistic vivarium. My challanges are that he roots around in the substrate alot, and I have snails that are killing the plants that arn't uprooted. What plants might fair well in this habitat, or at least reproduce fast enough to replace the ones that die? Is full spectrum lighting needed to keep the plants alive? Is it best to keep the plants potted, or dig them into the substrate--if so, what's the best substrate?

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer :)

Ian

Many sword plants will do well in your vivarium. If the internal air is humid enough, you'll likely see emersed growth - all swords seen in the aquarium hobby can be grown emersed (part of the plant in the water, part out).

The nice thing about swords is that they're pretty hardy, but still try to keep the snails in check.

Other options include Cryptocoryne spp., Java fern, Anubias spp.

All of these plants can be kept w. just normal lighting - be it flourescent or incandescent. Of course, flourescent lighting is better b/c it gives off more light/Watt.

Swords and Crypts. will do well in pots - a small clay pot w. some potting soil topped off w. gravel will be good.

Java fern and Anubias like to be tied to driftwood or rocks - you don't actually need to plant them. Use an elastic or some thread/fishing line to attach them to wood or rocks.

HTH!