Oh my god, goldfish tragedy/emergency!

Devon

My poor goldfish!

I had four big goldfish dumped on me unexpectedly the other day...I set them up downstairs temporarily in a popup pond with a fluval that I had take directly off of my healthy established 80 gallon. I went out, and my mom called me a few hours later and told me that the filter wasn't running. I figured it had just for some reason stopped the syphoning effect, like the intake tube had fallen off, or something. I told her to turn it off and that I would be home within two hours and to put an air stone into it. So, she did...but she forgot to turn the filter off. When I got home, the big 5 inch bubble eye was dead and the intake strainer had fallen off. His bubble was stuck in the intake tube and the entire pond smelled like dead fish. The giant red ryukin was floating on his back and everyone else was gasping.

I quickly hauled out a 29 and filled it with water from my 80, and a bit of clean water treated with prime. I put a sponge filter into it and some horn wort. I don't know what else to do! The Ryukin is sluggish but not floating anymore, but they still don't look great and the situation they're in now is very temporary.

Guppylover, I know you love goldfish and live nearby to me, do you think my poor three goldfish could come visit you while I cycle a tank for them? THe fluval is completely destroyed so I need to start again with an unestablished filter.

As for the fish, right now...does anybody have any suggestions to make them more comfortable?

Has anybody had a similar tragedy befall a fish? I feel horrible, poor guy was alive for how many years? Then he came to me. :cry:

Might I suggest some "Stress Coat" from Aquarium Pharm. It will help replace the slime layer on the fishes body and reduce stress. Subdued lighting and minimal disturbance, water is as cool as possible. Make sure there is as much dissolved oxygen in the water while trying to keep the disturbance to a minimum. Lastly, a shot of chartreusse (for you, not the fish!).

:'( Ohhhhh! I wish I had room to help you and the fishies right now Devon, but I am seriously cramped for space :( I do, however, need to clean my canister filters on my 48 gallon downstairs in a BAD way lol so if you want, you can have some VERY established filter sponges to get your cycle jumpstarted for them if you come get them :) PM me if you want them, k?