wintering a two foot koi and his friends

Goldfish Girl

hello

i was wondering if any one has any new creative ideas as far as housing pond fish over the winter. i have 4 koi, the largest is two feet long, smallest about 10 inches. and 7 goldfish, about 6 inches as an average size. the first winter i housed them in a "kiddie" pool. worked okay, but was a pain for water changes. then this winter i had a tub that i put them in. poor moby (he's named after the whale because he's so big) could barely turn around in it by the time pond season rolled around. i will probably leave them out there until about the end of october beginning of november depending on what winter has in store. my pond is probably deep enough to leave them in, but moby is more like a dog then a fish and if he died i couldn't replace him- we all have that one fish like that :D . so i'm left with the issue of keeping 4 large koi and 7 large goldfish over winter. the idea i had was just finding a huge plastic tub to put them in. any one know of any places that sell them? also around how much are they? i mean 400 gallons wouldn't be a bad size. i would have bought a wal mart plastic pool complete with filter for around 400$ but the idea of 2000 gallons leaking out in my basement doesn't sound fun. so i'm left with the challenge of finding a tub of the right demensions, this is one fat fish. i'll post a pic of him when i get on the right computer. i was wondering how much these cost, if anyones bought one before, knows where to get one, or if anyone has better ideas on how to fix my problem.

thank you from moby and me

Carp and carp like fishes, ie. Koi and goldfish, Will go into hibernation at 44 deg. Farenheight. As long as they have Water with good oxygen, They will over winter outdoors quite nicely.

A minimum of 3' of water, 4' in the more northern climates. First, make sure they are fat and well fed before freeze up.

A trough heater works to keep a hole open in the ice. As most of us know, the exchange of gasses (oxygen and carbon dioxide) occurs at the water's surface. So in addition to an open hole in the ice, you need to put a convectional current in the pond/ tub, so the carbon dioxide can come up to the surface. a powerhead works great. The warmer water from the bottom will help keep the hole more open and the aggitation of the water's surface will increase re-oxygenation

Other than a very small amount of food, given once a month till spring and topping off the water, there is little else to worry about. :beer:

Edited by Ichthyosporidium

our neighbours have a huge outdoor pond. :drool: They heat it spring and fall with a sinking tank heated in a metal bucket to keep the fish from burning themselves. They put them in the garage in the early winter in a large trough as the power bill to keep the pond unthawed would be crazy! They have some huge fish! Proper filtration and minimal feeding keeps them clean. They also run lights for them all the time.

They winter fine. :D

Edited by Green Seahorse

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

GG, stop into Nature's Corner and ask for Henry. He'll tell you all you need to know and more all about wintering your fish. I was just in there this very evening having this exact discussion with him...

• 2 weeks later...

hi all

just an update. i did find a tub for them at innovativve plastics in edmonton on yellowhead trail. its a five foot by five foot tub, 130 gallons. it seems small as far as gallons but theres tons of surface area. thats what i was looking for. right now i just have my fancies in it. they will come out when i get my seventy five gallon one of these weekends. the pond fish can tough it out until then. brought in the baby koi today though. can't wait to see what they'll look like when they are older.

Edited by Goldfish Girl