New fish food creation.

Oxquo

It happened by accident, well kind of. The problem started when I moved and found that the nearest petstore that carried any kind of frozen foods was in Regina that and realising that in my hurry to move I left my worm cultures in the nice cool dark spot where they always were. Hope the new owners are fishkeepers, especially since I left them 2- 90 gallon tanks 1- 33 gallon and 2- 10's so far they haven't complained about my leavings, as i underestimated my belongings and the space they would take up. At anyrate, I had to get my fish something other than flake, God how I miss my PE Mysis.... Instead I found many odds and ends around the house and began the process. I did use Knox gelatin with no ill effect as well. Here is what I had,

Knox gelatin left over from raspberry freezer jam makins.

can of baby clams, I think I'd use frozen or canned shrimp meat next time instead.

1 pollock fillet, dirt cheap got a lb bag for $5.00

Frozen peas and carrots about a cup

4 liquid garlic capsules, the scented kind

4 vitamin B12 capsules

a handfull of vitaboost flake

a teaspoon of naturose

I mixed it together and used the food processor but instead of blending it I used the grater. Most food was frozen so it grates excellent. I added the knox gelatin after it all went through and filled up some mini ice cube trays once frozen I emptied the trays into smaller sealed bags but removed the air first. The cubes are about normal store bought cube size and I had alot there. To my suprise, My fish went nuts, it didn't cloud the tank and the pieces were good size unlike with blending. Due to both the vitaboost flake and the naturose this stuff is like blood it is the deepest of reds and after two days of feeding my rams are back to looking great in color I am also hoping that the Garlic and B12 help with the stress. Anyways just thought i'd share. Another good thing is that my daphnia culture which froze solid hatched yesterday I had one that didn't quite freeze solid going and growing strong in the all plant tank but the extra culture is always nice to have. Strange, I thought my mysis would go bad so I gave it away, little did I know it would be cold enough to freeze a bottle of water in that truck. Tomorrow we take possession of the store so I'll try to take lots of photos of set ups and stuff especially the wood tank display, I got some awesome marine clear coat which is safe and alot of it so i am leaving the backs of my tanks wood grain I have seen it done and it is so very cool, happy fish keeping all.

Thanks,

I tried to make some DIY food last week. I used shrimp, peas, and green beans. I didn't use knox as i tried once before and it didn't set up. I used agar agar this time. The first try i didn't add enough agar(it didn't have instructions on the pack so i guessed :rolleyes: ). I waited untill morning and it hadn't set up. So i mixed in more agar and then it worked. I did find that it broke up to easily and clouded the water a bit, so maybe next time i'll add even more agar or try the gelatin again. And i'll try the grating as i think the blending makes it to messy when fed.

My fish went crazy for it. I'm going to try to make it again as this batch makes the tank a bit messy(only feed it right before water changes). All my fish loved it, it was like a feeding frenzy. I had never seen them like that :w00t: Even my fry seem to be going crazy for it.

Can you explain how you mixed the gelatin. That seems to be the part that i can't get right. I have heard some people just following the jar recipe on the back of the box.

As for the mixing I just pulled the grater and slipped on the mixing attachment then slowly poured in the gelatin as it was mixing. I set it in the cube trays right away and into the freezer. I found with grating the food, the pieces were bigger so less fell apart anyways but it needs to fall apart a bit atleast with cichlids or only one fish eats. One fish usually swims away with it anyways until another gets it atleast. I also found that letting it set up too long makes it freezer burn too easily. Anyways good luck, I can't wait to add some shrimp, mysis and blood worms to the mix as well and I was looking at this spirolina powder at the drug store maybe I'll try a little of that next time.

Quote by Oxquo>>And i'll try the grating as i think the blending makes it to messy when fed.<<.

I have found the method of grating to be more efficient. Less food waste, more food is actually eaten by the fish.