Freshwater pipefish

Ichthyosporidium

Over the years, I have only seen a few specimens of the family Syngathidae and it was only Microphis smithi (large freshwater pipefish). I kept a pair of Microphis smithi for about three years and never tried again.

There are two other types that I am aware of. They are: Syngathus pulchellus (small fresh water pipefish) and Microphis boajo (very rare in pipefish standards).

I guess the reason they are not popular in today's tanks is because they really are sensitive to things like unaged water. Even well treated water that was from the tap on the same day can kill a pipefish. They are better in slightly brackish over the long term, but a well aged, fresh water aquarium will suffice for a few months until a slight brackish setup is available. They should not be kept together with other fish or they will withdraw into a planted area and either become completely apathetic or very restless. On the other hand, when kept alone they become more interesting. They will usually swim into open spaces. On occasion, territories have been set up and crazy battles have been observed in the middle of an aquarium. You wouldn't think these fish had it in them to fight like that!

The main point about keeping Freshwater Pipefish however, is the food. My own observations and what I have read is Pipefish only eat Daphnia and brine shrimp. Worms, insect larvae or dead foods are usually rejected. Today, There are few dealers who can provide live daphnia so you will probably have to breed daphnia yourself to supply the food this fish needs. Artemia salina can only be used as a temporary substitute for a short period of time since they die off in fresh water and Pipefish want to eat all day! The food also has to have a minimum size (ie. Cyclops are too small).

Their eating habits are another reason they do best by themselves. Simply, they like to be left alone to snack on daphnia all day long and in a comunity tank, this is simply not feasible.

So, in a nut shell, if you provide a pipefish with:

1. Aged water

2. A tank of their own

3. Suficient live foods at all times

They will provide you with an interesting and entertaining display for all to see.

My friend catches them wild, but he says that Katrina affected the population where he used to catch them (somewhere in Louisiana). He always caught them to take to the American Livebearer Association Convention but couldn't find any last year. Before it was always easy. I know very little about them (but I know more now!), but if they ever establish in the location again I'll see if I can't get some in with one of my shipments from him & send them off to you. :D

Anyways, interesting article! Thanks for taking the time to post it. :) Is there an 'articles' section here? If there's not, I think there should be. It would be useful and the search engines love content.

Thanks Melody! I definitely would be interested in a few to keep again and species is not important either!

I have been to the mangrove swamps where they lurk around. Too bad that the population has taken a hit there. In Jamaica's mangroves, you can also find them, maybe I'll get one of my cousins to catch and send me a few also!

I wonder how they ship? If they're that sensitive I mean. Worth a shot anyway.

I haven't a clue what species he finds there, I'll have to ask him.

He finds all sorts of neat creatures that I have to look up....lol. He has promised to take me collecting if I go visit someday. I have always wanted to visit the deep south anyway, so I'm looking forward to it. My contribution will probably be "HEY!!! There's one!!!!", and chatting with his wife while he works...lol. Actually, I figure it must be quite a thrill to find those fish in the wild, especially coming from a place where its not tropical, so I'll be right in there, breaking fingernails and not caring! :D

There is a freshwater pipefish at big als. My friend called me over to look at the "bent gar", haha. He's cheap, under 20...he looked healthy, though I have no idea what they are supposed to look or act like normally so he could be on deaths door and I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference. But he's there if anybody wants to go check him out.

There is a freshwater pipefish at big als. My friend called me over to look at the "bent gar", haha. He's cheap, under 20...he looked healthy, though I have no idea what they are supposed to look or act like normally so he could be on deaths door and I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference. But he's there if anybody wants to go check him out.

Its encouraging that stores are getting them in. I'll have to check into it and see if there are specific shipping methods. They're certainly an odd looking creature for a freshwater fish :) .

Thanks for the headsup on that Devon. I really want to try this family again. They are sooo cool to watch when they adjust to the tank.

Is this at Big Al's in Edmonton? Thx.

Big Al's is now only in Edmonton, they shutdown the Calgary store not too long ago