feeding shrimp?

eurostar

They like the Java Moss because its easy for them to 'hold on' to. If they don't have something to grip when they're nervous, they'll often die. When they're shipped they have to be shipped with something to grab.

Mine LOVE slightly cooked peas, pealed & quartered, and whatever high-calcium vegie/seafood combo my cauldron cooks up. The lighting in their tanks sux so the photos are bad, but here's a couple of pics of them with peas:

MM-Shrimp_Pea-2.jpgMM-Shrimp_Pea.jpg

Note to Christian: Another photography tip - when they turn out crappy, blame the lighting

;) .

You could just feed a little more than normal. Shrimp are scavengers in the wild, and will pick up whatever left overs they can find.

hmm maybe i'll try peas my problem is if i try and feed them flake food the fish gobble it all up before they get a chance

Fish love peas too....lol..but they're good for them so that's ok. I always do one feeding after the lights go out in my tanks with bottom feeders - they have a better chance at getting some then. I also drop some over the plants (not too much or it will foul the tank if it doesn't get eaten).

They benefit from calcium in their diet - both HBH and Hikarii make decent crab food that's good for Shrimp too. You can kill two birds with one stone by feeding the high-calcium vegies, but make sure they're not too high in oxalates as it renders the calcium useless. Spinnach is bad for that. Wash them very well to avoid pesticides. Mine don't seem to care for algae wafers much - they should, but they don't. Probably spoiled on the fresh stuff. Of all the wafers, the like Omega One best. They like the HBH Soft Spirulina too.

i put in some peas and they dont seem interested in it, i'll try the night tme idea because im worried their not getting enough food

I've never seen a shrimp turn down a pea - did you cook it a bit to soften it? Take the shell off? Cut it into quarters? If they're not eating that pea, stop worrying - they're not hungry :D . I've fed peas to Tigers, Taiwan Tigers, Cherries and Chrystal Reds - every one of them goes nuts. It would probably surprise you just how much food hits the bottom of the tank and gets trapped in the plants, so they could be just fine as is.

yeah i peeled it and put it in warm/hot water for a bit and kinda smushed it up

I'm guessing that they're getting enough to eat then. There are lots of other sinking foods to try as well - what works for me won't necessarily work for you. :) If you are going to feed them directly, I'd try the crab foods. They also like the Omega One Shrimp pellets, in my experience. I really don't think they're hungry though. Its great that you're so concerned and its smart to keep an eye on things, but as Jason mentioned, they're ace scavengers so they're probably fine. :D