a betta... planter... thingy....

windeindoiel

So my idea is to get my great big goldfish bowl (pff, who ever came up with the idea of keeping goldfish in a bowl?), clean it up, but a betta in it, and then grow some sort of plant out the top. You know, give the betta some stems or roots or whatever to explore in it's otherwise super boring bowl, and have a pretty flower pot that I won't be able to forget to water.

I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to get the plants to stay up, because I don't want the surface of the bowl covered or anything. I was going to make a fairly deep bottom (maybe put some peat or something for the plant in there, help it grow better) and possibly make a little stand like thing to tie the plant stem to to keep it upright.

I was kind of thinking of one of my temple plants, but will that work? I don't know much about growing plants in just water. Do I fertilize? Do I need extra light? Will anything I have to do for the plant adversely affect the fish?

You could use a temple plant. The emersed growth would stiffen up so it could stand up out of the water. Conversely, you could plant a bog-plant, as long as you keep the leaves out of the water, it should do pretty good.