I need help

Nandopsis

I just figured out that my 165g WILL NOT fit down the stairs at my new house. (New to me)

So now i have to figure if it safe to set it up on the main floor. (Weight load)

The floor joists are just 2"-6" and i can't remember if they were 12" on center or 16".

So if anyone has any idea if this is a safe set-up or if it is a accident waiting to happen? Does anyone else have a large tank set-up in a !950's house w/ 2"-6" joists.

Thanks

Jay.

Ya the foot print is 6' by 18".

I realy don't want to add teleposts, because it would seriously cut back the basement living-room. But it looks like that might be the case.

I know i can tie the joists together for extra stength using 2"-6" inbetween the joists, but i'am still afraid that this would not be enough.

I don't think you have much choice but to add extra support from below. Even if there's only 12" between the joists, and you're up against a load bearing wall, that's still going to be a lot of long term stress on those joists. Add in the factor that some of those joists may have some structural flaws, such as knots, holes for wiring, etc, and I think it's a disaster waiting to happen. Here's an excellent read on this subject:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/aquarium_weight.php