Hello All!!

michaelb

Hi there. I stumbled on this site while searching for info on Cichlids, fancy that!! I recently got back into this crazy hobby, passion, obsession, whatever you want to call it, a couple of years ago when I bought my grandson a 20 gal tank for Christmas(we are raising him). Well needless to say a 6yr olds interests change faster than their clothes, it's still his but I do the work. Since then a 32 gal and then a 55 gal appeared magically in the house along with a 10 gal quarantine tank. The 20 gal houses a pair of juvenile angels and some corys and otos along with a clown pleco. The 32 gal has a single Gold angel with some corys, otos and a clown pleco as well. The 55 has 2 juvenile gold angels and a silver juvenile, 3 pearl gouramis, 2 black skirt tetras, 6 zebras, 6 julii corys and a pair of keyhole cichlids. Now that we discovered the keyholes with their distinct personalities we are tossing around the idea of adding either a 29 gal or 32 gal cichlid tank. I think it's time for some color and attitude!! I know what I want...sort of. I want a tank with as many fish of color as possible without a WWE fight breaking out. I am open to ciclids of any area, but don't want any tank busters, 3-4 inches max!! If anyone has any suggestions as to what type of cichlid, and how many of them I can put into the tank without too much stress and aggression happening, I would be greatly appreciative.

I'm glad I found this site as I truly feel that locals can offer far more accurate advice than people from other areas in regards to water conditions, available stock and what have you.

Thanks for your help and input!!

Welcome, I hope you enjoy the site. :)

Now back to your question. RAMS..RAMS...RAMS! Either german blue rams or bolivian red rams.

They are peaceful, very beautiful, And only get approx 3".

You could also check out some other dwarf cichlids like a Apistogramma of some sort.

Thanks for the suggestions!! I like both the Rams and the Apistos and Bolivian Reds over Greman Blues. As for the Apistos, Agassizi are nice but not very colorful from what I have seen. Apistogramma Hongsloi however are quite striking indeed!! There's too many nice looking fish to decide...Cockatoo Dwarfs remind me of little punk rockers and they appear to have a lot of spunk. ARghhh, I want them all!! What to do...what to do.......more research and more brain picking I think. Keep them suggestions coming please!! What other tankmates would/could inhabit the tank?? I will need something for the upper strata, must have color as well......I gather other bottom dwellers like corys would be an unwelcomed guest with these guys.

Funny how things change. While tossing about the possibility of getting either Rams or Apistos of some kind, and going over the relative small numbers we could keep in either a 29 or 32 gal tank.....out of my wilfe's mouth comes "why don't we just get another 55 gal tank and be done with it!" Can you say BONUS!!!!! So, with that in mind, here's my thinking. 3 Bolivian Rams 1m/2f, 3 Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlids 1m/2f and 3 Apistogramma Agassizi again, 1m/2f. Lots of live plants, rock work, caves and hidey holes for all, a school of tetras or something colorful for the upper strata and some corys or loaches of the small variety for the bottom. I'm not sure the corys or loaches would be appreciated by the cichlids, if so great, if not, what else would co-exist on the bottom for cleaning? Probably need some otos as well...hmmmm. Will this work?? Enough fish or too many?? Water changes are no problem as I do them twice a week now on the other tanks....one more won't kill me..lol

Thanks for the tip on Golds. This is still in the planning stage and I really need to know if this plan will work or not. Doesn't anybody have any comments or suggestions on the stocking plan?? Am I pushing the limit here, is it a bad mix?? I really need input from the experienced crowd here.

Thanks