how to change filters?

blainetyson

I was wondering how to change filters on a cycled tank? I have picked up a penguin power filter (biowheel) for my 18g, but will instead put it on my 10g and move the aquaclear filter on 10 to 15g to add to another aquaclear filter. How do i go about doing this? The filters are not the same, and there is not enough room in the cover for the tank to run both.

Thanks, Chantell

I was wondering how to change filters on a cycled tank? I have picked up a penguin power filter (biowheel) for my 18g, but will instead put it on my 10g and move the aquaclear filter on 10 to 15g to add to another aquaclear filter. How do i go about doing this? The filters are not the same, and there is not enough room in the cover for the tank to run both.

Thanks, Chantell

If the tanks are all well established, I wouldn't worry about it. The beneficial bacteria sticks to everything in the tank - gravel, ornaments, etc. While it is concentrated in the filter, the tank can compensate easily if it is not overstocked. I have cycled tanks with a handful of established gravel, so I think sometimes we obsess a tad too much about the filter bacteria. If you can avoid it, great, but if you can't, just keep an eye on things. If you do see a spike, it shouldn't be a huge one.

You can squeeze the 'juice' from the Aquaclear sponge into the new filter for a boost if you like, or cut the sponge up and put a piece in the new filter. You can also cut back on your feeding for a few weeks. Plants can also help compensate for fluctuations.

I change the media in my tanks with one filter all the time without issues. I use several filters with filter pads and they caught on to them being reused I suspect, because for the past year they practically fall apart if you try to rinse them. If I have a choice, as in tanks with more than one filter, then I alternate.

Thanks!!

I have never used a filter pad before so this will be interesting. I though that something was up when the packaging said to replace filter every month, instead of rinseing it out.

Chantell

Long as you rinse it with water from your tank, or dechlorinated water, you should be okay.