Golden nugget Plecos !!!!!!!

rahim101

I was checking out some gold nugget plecos at the LFS tonight. They were in with a bunch of mollies that wouldn't quit picking at the plecos spots. Just wondering if this would be a concern if I was to put them in with my tanganyikan cichlids. Any experience?

How are yours doing Rahim?

Edited by CptCleverer

Hi Tim,

I have mine in a 10 gallon with a cory and it seems to be doing ok.

I am told that these plecos are more meat eaters then algae.

I feed mine a little blood worms and brineshrimp every day.

I would not put a fancier pleco in with africans...I currently have a rhino pleco in my 90 gallon african tank but have kept sailfins as well as regular plecos with africans with no problems.

I am waiting for the Riverfront aquriums 50% off sale and will go pick up about 10 reg bristle nose plecos and try my luck at breeding them!!!!!

I was checking out some gold nugget plecos at the LFS tonight. They were in with a bunch of mollies that wouldn't quit picking at the plecos spots. Just wondering if this would be a concern if I was to put them in with my tanganyikan cichlids. Any experience?

How are yours doing Rahim?

At Big Al's? Last time I was in there several of the other tanks on that system, were full of ich.

Hi Tim,

I am waiting for the Riverfront aquriums 50% off sale and will go pick up about 10 reg bristle nose plecos and try my luck at breeding them!!!!!

Should have been at the CAS meeting on Tuesday...there was a pair of young adult (breeding age) BNs in the auction.

Hi Rahim,

You'll be happy to hear that the "gold nugget pleco" refers to at least 3 different species of loricariids with 4 different assigned L numbers. If you are going to breed these fish, I would encourage you to use fish from the same supplier and to be aware of their conspecific aggression and aggression with other loricariids in general. L 018 refers to the largest of the gold nuggets and can grow to 14". The others L 081, L 085 and L 177 are somewhat smaller.

To find out tips on how to further differentiate these fish check out www.planetcatfish.com. They are featured as the catfish of the month in December 2000.

The Calgary Aquarium Society also recently purchased the book: "Loricariidae: The Tricks of the Trade" by Larry Vires and it is a great resource for anyone wishing to try to breed these fish.

HTH, David.