Pictures from Southern AB

Molino

I decided to post some of the pictures I took this summer while in Southern AB. I tried to use the opportunity to get back into photography a little more.

Near Drumheller:

IMG_4258-Rosedale-700w.jpg

Waterton National Park:

IMG_4615-Waterton-700w.jpg

On my way to Cypress National Park I got a little lost. My map was to say the least, incomplete. However getting lost is not so bad when you happen across such a nice scene.

IMG_4750-Cypress-700w.jpg

In Cypress National Park:

IMG_4769-Cypress-700w.jpg

Now I know this picture is not that good, but heh, it's a Bear!! This was in Kananaskis Country.

IMG_4498-Bear-700w.jpg

Tried a few shots with the Macro lense. This one came out pretty well.

IMG_4985-Bee-400w.jpg

Hope you liked the photos :)

Nelson

Thanks. Eagle Butte Road sound familiar.. Is it gravel? I was approaching Cypress Hills from the West and spent about a half hour or more travelling on some gravel roads. This was on one of those roads.

The map I had showed just one intersection and no road names. Of course in reality I went through 3 or 4 intersections before I made it back onto a highway :D

Eagle Butte road is hard surface (narrow, windy without center lines) most of the way and then is suddenly turns to gravel at the end. I think it comes out just south of Cypress Hills. I only travel it as far as the hard top is so I am not positive where it comes out. It is the kind of road that you drive on for about 45 minutes and suddenly changes to gravel and you think "OMG, Where am I". The entire road is very scenic, I love the drive. It goes from the transcanada just East of Medicine Hat, heads South and takes a curving round about way back East to Cypress. There isn't much traffic on it usually. Last time I was on it there was an unusual amount of traffic. It turns out west going traffic was being detoured around Medicine Hat off the transcanada onto the Eagle Butte road. Rather than immediately turning west about 1/2 mile down the road to bypass the city, I think they continued on the Eagle Butte road. There was long groups of trafffic. I can just imagine their surprise when they came out probably 50 miles Southeast rather than West.

Thanks everyone, glad you like them!

ABWildrose,

Having a closer look at some maps I think I somehow got onto Township Rd 74 and probably did spend a short time on Eagle Butte Road at one point, but turned back off. Anyway I knew generally which direction I was going and got there eventually. I came over on highway 61 and passed through Orion and figured I try and head east rather than take the long way around by going north or south. I joined up with highway 41 shortly before entering the park.

Did you shoot the macro bee shot with a ring flash or did you use natural lighting? Was a tripod used? I find that my handheld macro shots are not as sharp as they can be....and when I use a tripod, I've already missed the shot because the bee or butterfly has flown away.

Very nice shots.

Edited by ace99

Really nice pictures. It is sad that I have been in the Hat for 9 yrs and have not been to Cypress yet someone from waay up in Edmonton has.

It was the first time I had ever been to Cypress and wasn't quite sure what to expect. I actually preferred the scenery and hills just south/southwest of the park. Lots of farmland and hills.

Ace,

The macro shot was shot without tripod or flash. It was shot with my 100mm macro at 800 ISO, f5.6 and a shutter speed of 1/80th.