The Dirt on Planted Tanks

jvision

Definately not overcrowded. I could put a wishlist together of fish I'd like to add for sure. It is planted and I'm trying to add a few more plants, doing devisions too. Some of the plants I had added simply melt and disappear. Of course the cripts do fine but so far the cobomba is either being devoured or just disappears. I have 2 very large pieces of wood and 3 medium to small ones so I think the best thing will be to add more cripts. I started a 2L co2 yesturday with the tube going into the filter intake, so I'll give it 2 weeks to see how things progress. I'll soon make some changes, maybe get everyone out and add some "dirt" then the gravel back in, and then the plants and fish. I think most of the other plants will do better that way. I am learning so much from everyone and having great successes that I am sssooooo loving this hobby.

If you ever plan on moving plants and decor around in your tank, I highly recommed NOT adding "dirt". As the organics break down, they're trapped under the gravel, which is fine, and plants can access it fine; but, if you ever uproot a plant, or disturb the gravel (throw out your gravel-vac!), you will release those decomposing organics into the water column. At best, you'll have algae issues; but, I've also seen this wipe out entire fish populations. :( I lost a rare, expesive pair of Apistos this way. :cry:

If you want to root-feed, use Jobes Spikes for Ferns. If you can't find the actual Jobe's for Ferns, get something that has low NPK #s, and as low as P# as possible. Break them into 1/3s or 1/4s, and burry the pieces as deep as possible under your root feeders (Crypts, swords, Val, Lotus... basically your roset plants). And, if you want to root-feed micronutrients, I've found that Seachem Tabs work great.

Cabomba is best left in the stores. It generally requires cool water - even 75F is too warm - and bright light. If you want something bushy, try Limnophila spp. - Gillian at Natures Corner usually makes sure they have some with most of their plant orders.

Have plants, have fun!! :thumbs:

Hummmm here's the plan.....I want to switch things up as it were. Now that I have the 60 gal, I want to make that the planted tank, and convert the 72 to a SA ,xtra large fish tank (better space). So what I had planned to do is start the 60 with some aquasoil, but what I'll do is just put a deeper layer of the garnet. Then I'll set up rock structures, wood eventually the plants. No more vacuuming then huh. I have Terrapur cone shaped fert blocks to bury under the plants. I have the seachem series of liquids and now co2 I have a pretty good idea which plants are doing well now and will look for the Limnophila spp.

I picked up feather rock today at Cannar at .60 lbs. , along with some mexican rock (similar to lava). Neat stuff. Wasn't pleased with the sellection at Burnco, only thing I found there was the tuffa bolders, I didn't like it.

Going to be busy next couple of days getting this all done. If it all looks good I'll post some pics.

BTW are there plants I can put into a SA tank that will be safe from grazing fishes?

If you're going to go full boar with plants in the 60 gal, I'd recommend switching over to powdered ferts - Seachem will get expensive (assuming lighting is ~2wpg).

For your SA tank, if you're going w. big cichlids, you may be SOL for plants. I thought Java fern and Anubias were pretty much fish-proof. Nope! The Secrums would bite holes in the leaves just for fun! :o

There are some large Earth-eaters that would be great w. Java fern and Anubias, and other plants that'll grow easily on driftwood and rocks.

Sounds like you're having fun!! :thumbs:

i took small clay pots put in a coffee filter then dirt (no fertiler in it) planted the plant folded the coffee filter over the dirt then topped up the clay pot with gravel. works really good. id also suggest plugging the hole on the bottom of the clay pot. the plants grew like crazy. i read in a book that the soil should be good for 4 years but id probabally change the dirt as soon as i seen the plants not growing like crazy.