Ghost Shrimp Dying ...

Aaron

Hey everyone, I have about 30-ish ghost shrimp, and they seem to be slowly dying. They seem to be getting less transparent, turning kind of 'hard' looking and yellowish/whitish and then just slowly die. All levels seem to be acceptable, except for the hardness, which of course, is rocketing into outer space because of Calgary's water. Would a water softening pillow do the trick? I do use aquarium salt (just a bit) and the other fish (just tetras and danios!) seem to be happy. Too little light? What are some common problems ...

Are the shrimp dying, or are they molting? It's easy to confuse the two. When a shrimp dies, it looks just like the pink ones you order in a ring at the restaurant. If it's still opaque, then it's likely the outer shell of the molt.

Are the shrimp dying, or are they molting? It's easy to confuse the two. When a shrimp dies, it looks just like the pink ones you order in a ring at the restaurant. If it's still opaque, then it's likely the outer shell of the molt.

Hmm, good point, but - they are definetly dying. I have seen some of the outershell thing left after a molt, but this is different, they are definelty fully dead, its bizarre, because the water seems fine, I think it must be some kind of calcium related issue, because, before I even read up on anything about this, or long before I knew anything about calcium, I said to myself "Hmm, looks like a crazy calcium buildup" They turn from a see-through ghost shrimp, to a solid colored, white/yellow shrimp, they die over a few days, ... bizzare

I'm no shrimp expert, but I know crustaceans need iodine for a successfull molt. Something that might help is adding the smallest amount of iodised salt (ie. table salt) - I'd mix it in with the aquarium salt... probably 1:3 table salt to aquarium salt.