My first planted 32G aquarium.

DaveDude77

Hi all, here are some pics I've taken of my tank. The pics aren't as good as patrick's but at least you can make out the fish.

These first pics were when I was setting up my tank. They were taken around Aug. 23rd.

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=...mp;id=635091875

The Polysperma plant was growing like crazy so I trimmed off a bunch of dead stems off the bottom to make the tank look a little cleaner. These pictures were taken right after the trimming. These pics were taken Sept 14th.

These are the most recent pics. Right after trimming the plants I bought a compressed CO2 system (thanks humpty) and my plants started growing even faster. Still haven't got my pH down to what I want but it's getting there. I also finished stocking my tank. Inside are now, 6 Longfin Leopard Danios, 2 Siamese Flying Foxes, 1 Marble Angelfish (I Think), and a male and female Dwarf Gourami. Thanks to those who made suggestions on my other topic asking what fish to add. These guys are getting along great. No scraps or anything. These pics were taken Sept 20th.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. If you're on Facebook look me up.

Your tank is coming along nicely! :thumbs:

There is so much to learn isn't there!

A couple of comments about your 3rd group of pictures. That glob of eggs in #14 will be snail eggs, Danio's are egg scatterers. I believe the things hanging on the edge of the plant in #15 are Hydra. :grr: I see more learning in the near future!

Oops, didn't see your other post!

Edited by gobies et al

Yeah I found out about the snail eggs just recently. One of my original Danios had it's tail chewed up a bit so I moved him to a 3G glass vase (don't have QT yet) for the time being. I also found a snail in my tank so for the heck of it, dropped it in with the Danio. Well it wasn't an hour later there was another one of these sacks on the glass. Being I think the Danio is male, I'm sure it's got to be snail eggs. What's the best way to deal with snails once you have them. The LFS says Clown Loaches would work well but I can't add any more fish to this tank, my stocking levels are full. Well, until I can convince the wife it's time for another tank. :smokey:

Yes there is quite the learning curve going on here. I'm learn so much so fast that I'm starting to mix info up. That can be scary so I keep re-reading everything a couple of times t make sure I get it straight. One day, I'll be able to help people out here at AA just like everyone else has helped me. I can't wait to start doing that. I like the feeling I get when I've helped someone out with a problem.

Edited by DaveDude77

Thanks for the tip Raj. I do have it on the bottom of my tank but it's only partially barried in the gravel. Just enough I think to hold it down. Most of the stem is sticking out. I was thinking about some driftwood but it's a rather large Anubias and I think I'd need a bigger tank to get a big enough piece of driftwood for it. It should be fine though sticking out of the gravel, don't you think? About 1/2 of the stock is sticking out near the leaves. Also, a bunch of the roots from it have found their way out of the gravel. They kind of float in the current.

What's the best way to deal with snails once you have them

Just leave them alone, they're good little cleaners. As long as your not overfeeding, the population will stay in check. If you're one of the people who think they're unsightly, loaches or other snail-eating fish are your best bet. You can also manually remove them. You can buy snail killing treatments form the store, but these can do more harm than good to the rest of the tank.

Thanks for the tip Raj. I do have it on the bottom of my tank but it's only partially barried in the gravel. Just enough I think to hold it down. Most of the stem is sticking out. I was thinking about some driftwood but it's a rather large Anubias and I think I'd need a bigger tank to get a big enough piece of driftwood for it. It should be fine though sticking out of the gravel, don't you think? About 1/2 of the stock is sticking out near the leaves. Also, a bunch of the roots from it have found their way out of the gravel. They kind of float in the current.

Anubias grows by extending their rhizome ( the main bottom stem). As long as the rhizome has room to grow, and is not buried, it will be fine. Do you know what kind of anubias it is ?

I have seen Anubias clinging to small pebbles with their roots. Once the roots cling on to something, the plant will remain stable and not get dislodged.

Raj

Leave them alone???? Really? I'm told that they breed worst than guppies. I wouldn't mind a few but if they over-run my tank then I wouldn't be happy. Besides, my Flying Foxes are enjoying the little bit of algae I do have in the tank. I think for now, I'll keep up with the snail battle and remove them as I see them. So far so good, I can only find a couple a day.

The Anubias is A. barteri. It looks to be doing good. I find they do best when the rhizome/stem is completely on top of the gravel, and the roots completely burried - they are actually pretty heavy root-feeders.

To get the best growth out of your sword plants, remove the older, outer leaves that are getting algae on them. This will free up energy for the new leaves.

If you want the Hairgrass to spread quickly, they like fine substrate. what I did in one of my tanks was make a little area of sand, using a piece of slate and a couple strips of acrylic. You can also use those dishes they put under plant pots - they don't need a deep substrate.

Looking great, tho!

Have plants, have fun! :thumbs: