Advice Before Buying A Used Eheim

Fisher

I'm thinking about buying a used Eheim 2213. I've sifted the forums here trying to figure out what I should watch out for, but nothing dealing directly with the topic (that I could find).

I don't need another reason to kick turds down the road buying used. So if you have any advice to share, I'd like to read it.

Thanks fokes!

Edited by Fisher

they are crap anyhow makes no difference if they work or not

Care to elaborate? I have several Eheims and I have no complaints. The Classic line isn't my favourite but there are lots of fans out there.

Personally I don't buy used, I don't trust anyone else's cleaning and I am too lazy to have to give everything a good clean. If I ended up buying used, I would replace all the media and hoses. You may as well have bought new and saved the hassles.

If you still want to buy used, ask to see it run; it would suck to get it set up and find out the main seal is leaking. Good luck.

Ron

Care to elaborate? I have several Eheims and I have no complaints. The Classic line isn't my favourite but there are lots of fans out there.

Personally I don't buy used, I don't trust anyone else's cleaning and I am too lazy to have to give everything a good clean. If I ended up buying used, I would replace all the media and hoses. You may as well have bought new and saved the hassles.

If you still want to buy used, ask to see it run; it would suck to get it set up and find out the main seal is leaking. Good luck.

Ron

+1

If I ended up buying used, I would replace all the media and hoses.

Ron

Thanks much Ron!

So what do you use JORG? A fan and a wind sock?

Edited by Fisher

Ron

I have 2 classics here. In my opinion they are the worst canisters I own. They are hard to pull apart for cleaning,flimsy hoses,poor hose connections,round design doesn't hold enough media,weak main seal,impeller shaft easily broken,media and replacement parts are expensive. I think they are outdated and should be put to sleep.

If I ended up buying used, I would replace all the media and hoses.

Ron

Thanks much Ron!

So what do you use JORG? A fan and a wind sock?

Nope wind powered filters are old school I now use solar powered filters

034-2.jpg

Jorg has alot of good points. I think eheim is a decent filter. But ill admit its not the easiest to maintain. I have a few and have had no mechanical issues. Just hard to prime ( the older ones) in fact my 2215 is darn near impossible to prime when its running off a tank that is near the floor. Cheaper connections in some models as well

I also stay away from used now. I got something fierce from a used fx5 before. Even after i cleaned it and replaced all the media before adding to tank.

Edited by PistolPete

I have 2 classics here. In my opinion they are the worst canisters I own. They are hard to pull apart for cleaning,flimsy hoses,poor hose connections,round design doesn't hold enough media,weak main seal,impeller shaft easily broken,media and replacement parts are expensive. I think they are outdated and should be put to sleep.

Maybe I haven't had mine running long enough but I don't agree with any of your points except for the expensive replacement parts but I also haven't had to replace anything yet.

Jorg has alot of good points. I think eheim is a decent filter. But ill admit its not the easiest to maintain. I have a few and have had no mechanical issues. Just hard to prime ( the older ones) in fact my 2215 is darn near impossible to prime when its running off a tank that is near the floor. Cheaper connections in some models as well

I think most canisters would be hard to prime with the tank close to the ground. At least with the disconnects that are supplied you can just suck on the discharge side to get the siphon going and reconnect it as the cannister fills up.

You can agree or disagree doesn't matter to me. I know where I will spend my money when I need a good reliable easy to maintain canister filter and I can guarantee it won't be on a new or used ehiem classic.