Do we need an Air Pump?

Paradisius

Long story short, we discovered that our 50/55 gallon hexagon is indeed not that size. It turns out that its more like a 35. In a nutshell, and trying to keep a stroy short, we noticed that our water was still green after a 1 week change, every week for the last few months (since buying a large piece of bog-wood), and also noticed that algea tends to build up on a regular basis. This tank is very well planted, so chemicals for algea are out of quest. Two things were reccomended in the past, one being that we turn off the air supply at night, the other was too be patient with the bog wood leaking those lignins?

We are currently aquiring a large 90 gallon to provide more comfort for the occupants. We covered any exposed glass accept front so that less "day light" would stray in (btw:tank is not in direct sunlight), and checked the cover to assure integrity. Feeding is done twice, measured. In hopes of seeing if algea is the problem of the green water.. and too control it.

The tank was sold also with a rather over-sized aquaclear 300 for this tank. Advantage, plenty of cycling. Disadvantage... lotsa current for the tank.

After spending much of the night now, I have still the same question. (many sites boast that the over-flow filtration will provide adequate aeration).

Do we honestly need an air pump in this small tank loaded with plants, and a larger-than-required aquaclear? Better yet, are air pumps necessary in freshwater set-ups?

Suggestion and comments are more than welcome.... :well:

Paradisius, No problem with the Aquaclear 300, if the flow is to great you can always diffuse it at the discharge by placing a screen made for needle point. Although this doesnt reduce the flow rate it does spread the discharge out. With the algae problem is this a new setup?

What water changes are you currently doing to this tank. Please post other parameters such as lighting amount, length of time. P04 levels. Type of substrate, etc... Well see if we can help you out.

Should repost in Planted Tank Section

Cheers,

Garhan

Since it's well planted, I don't suggest using any type of "aeration" as it will gass off CO2 which your plants need. It will also affect water chemistry (buffer/pH) down the road. That's another kettle of fish, pardon the pun.

• 2 months later...

check your lighting as well I had a blue flouresent light in my tank to enhance the colors of the fish and within a month or so you couldn't see 2 inches in . when I took out the light and put in just a regular flouresent bulb ,,,I have 2 bulbs ,,, and I did a 30% or so water change I haven't had a problem since ...I herd the red colored one do it too

Pinkeyfish