Freshwater Flounder

Chopperman

Has at anyone seen or have a freshwater flounder. I was just curious because I've been considering one or two for one of my aquariums, I cant seem to find too much Info about them as to if theyre better community or semi aggressive or so on? Thanks

Yes when I wanted one I did lots of research, there was a good site but I don't remember what it is and right now I'm too lazy to look for it, but basically it said they're pretty easy to keep, just make sure you don't slack on water changes (as usual), they're opportunistic bottom dwellers and they need brackish water. Very cool fish though, I still wish I could have one.

i have kept one before. kept it with my zebra plecos. lets just say check if they are alive OFTEN. and by often i mean every time you look in the tank. one day if you check the tank and notice the zebra plecs loosing all their color, move them out to another tank, then go to move the flounder from out of the sand and discover he is dead, there is nothing worse then dead flounder for smell. only things that can maybe compete are dead sea anenomes and rotting onion plants. the fishroom smelled like dead fish for days. zebra plecos survived though.

as for their care, they don't really need any salt in the water. i kept mine full fresh no problem. they will eat what ever fits in their mouths, they are predatory. interesting to watch though. its about the closest you can get to a stingray without accutually buying one. stingrays are still better but their temperment is the same. another name for the freshwater flounder is river sole. difference between sole and flounder is the side their mouths are on. think of it as one looks to the left and one looks to the right. lol. awesome fish though... as long as they don't die. but they need SAND. can't stress that enough. they scrape on rocks and ussually get stressed from not being able to hide.

Hey. I tried my hand at flounder. Did all my research had a suitable tank for it. Maybe I was unlucky but the thing wouldnt eat and finally died within a week. I found if you are into the flat stringray type looking animals you can go for hillstream loach. They look really cool but they are very hardy as opposed to the flounder. Thats my experience at least.

• 1 month later...

I totally agree with hillstream loaches are a better choice. Never had luck with flounders myself. I ones i've gotten to eat would only eat live and ghost shrimp was only thing that was slow enough for them to easy catch. And a big flounder eats alot. Hillstream loaches are way more active and more entertaining to watch, and alot easier.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks FishGeek for the Hillstream loaches!!!! They look wicked. I have all of them in a high current set up and I hope to have success with them.

Wish me luck....

(If anyone else is interested in some there were a few (2 or 3) in the Crowfoot Petland when I was there today.)

Mooose

• 4 years later...