Channa bleheri

albert_dao

Here's a little more info I found....

Channa bleheri originates from the Upper Assam region of India. Along with its lesser known (in a hobby perspective) cousin Channa marulius (whose lateral side black circular blotches form a symbol associated with Sudarsham Chakra) this is a fish much revered in local folklore and religious belief.

This beautiful fish is shaped like a large cigar with fins. The ventral fins have a bright tiger pattern with the blue dorsal edged in a brilliant orange. The well set jaws make easy work of smaller fish species. Primitive labyrinth organs allow this fish to survive in poorly oxygenated waters.

In aquaria this fish demands plenty of space in which to move around, hard alkaline water and, surprisingly, an aquarium located in a much illuminated site. We have read accounts of C. bleheri that were successfully maintained alongside large barbs, bushfish and the larger Botia species but recommend a species only set-up in order to avoid any compatibility problems.

That's too bad that they are banned over there. Just picked up two of the bleheri's from chums and they are stunning.

Andrea/Nazim:

colours are now more vibrant...they ate one minnow after i opened the bag yesterday! I opened it and droped a minnow and they ate it. I am now feeding them fish fillets and shrimps. They are with my baby senegalus (3.5 inches ) and they seem to get along fine.

Thanks for the fish!

• 3 weeks later...