Hello From Toronto...

wtac

Hey everyone,

I'd like to introduce myself sitting from Toronto :D. My sis and bro in law (both in "Cow-town") as well as my fiancee have been "nudging" me to go West and have been contimplating that move in the next 4 years or so. Having read a few posts and perusing the forum, I like what I have seen/read.

This hobby that we all share is a fascinating and has many ways to achieve the ultimate goal. It's a matter of making an informed decision and going with it.

Here's a little tidbit of myself. I have been in pretty much all facets in the aquarium biz from farming, im/export to design/servicing aquariums and ponds. My educational background is BSc in Chem Eng (UofT) and EnviroBiochem (Ryerson).

If I can help direct "in the right direction" or add insight into this wonderful yet confusing hobby, that's what we're all here for.

Thanks for reading and happy fishkeeping.

Wilson

Thank you all for the warm welcome :smokey:.

I'm a hardcore plant and reef-aholic. Is there a 12 step progam here?

What are the water parameters in the different cities in AB?

Aside from the Big Al's/Aquarium Services, PetLand and other "big box" stores, who imports/tranship thier own fish? I'm asking b/c if I do make the move I need something to earn a living as I still have my contacts from when I used to import. I'd ask my sis and BIL but they don't know where to get this info within the aquarium industry in AB.

If you wish, PM with some unsight/info.

Thanks in advance,

Wilson

wtac, here in Edmonton water parameters vary depending on our runoff from the Rockies. We usually have PH from 7.2 to 7.8 or even highr some years. PO can be right through the roof again depending on water levels, and I have never tested it for N03 or N04. :tongue: describes our water. Yet very good drinking water and really gets your cloths clean and well rinsed. It can be high in minerals also again depending time of year and were along the water shed from source you live. I.e. Rocky Mountain House150 miles from source, Edmonton 400 miles from source via river(Saskatchewan River Drainage), Ft. McMurray 700 miles from source (Athabasca & Peacer River Drainage), Calgary is on the Bow River drainage and is with in 100 miles of Glacier source.

What is a 12 step program, I asked because noone else will, they would likely just scratch there heads. :D

Last spring many discus owners and other spieces lost fish due to a outbreak of flukes and guess what it came in via our water system here in Edmonton. In the fish parisitology course I had taken at the Uof A I was surprized to learn that we here in Alberta have extremely high contents of worms, flukes and many other parasites in our sportfish. This is not only due to the hosts such as water mammals, water birds that are need to transfer to the different host for parisite developement, but also because our water is very cold to which this is another condition required for some parisite developement.

Other stores in Edmonton are Dad's Fishroom--changing name to Nature Corner

Aquarium Illusions, Family Pet in Sherwood Park a hamlet outside Edmonton. A newer store in Devon that will be moving to Edmonton soon and will be changing there name ( dont recall current name)

More later if needed.

Cheers,

Garhan