Sick Panda Corydora

Shai

This panda (his name is Dash) started off about a week ago simply being listless but was still eating, so I wasn't too concerned, just thought he might be depressed after being moved into my 55g. I was planning on getting more pandas to complete the school, but then ended up having to put this off to treat the tank for ich, as another fish showed a single dot. Dash has not shown any signs of ich on his body, but since I can't look into his gills, he could possibly have it as well.

There were no other signs of illness until this morning, when I woke up to find he looks like this:

Dash is also breathing heavily. While trying to take these pictures he did swim around a bit, possibly in response to my face and the camera pressed up against the glass. Swimming motions looked fine, except that his right fin didn't move.

Ammonia and nitrite are reading zero. His tankmates are in my signature. Everyone else looks healthy; the tetras have not shown any signs of ich and the parasite has since fallen off the betta. I'm still treating for it otherwise. The other panda has remained active.

So, wondering what to do now. First time dealing with sick fish. I've already read up on treating ich so no help needed for that, I just don't know what to do with the panda. I'm not sure if this is Columnaris (bacterial) or just fungus. Should I remove Dash from the tank to treat him, or leave him in there and treat the whole tank? What should I treat with, a broad-spectrum antibiotic or a fungus med?

Edited by Shai

;_; He just died.

I'm wondering what I should do now--should I still treat the tank with something, to prevent the other fish from catching what he had or otherwise becoming sick?

;_; He just died.

I'm wondering what I should do now--should I still treat the tank with something, to prevent the other fish from catching what he had or otherwise becoming sick?

Hi Shai,

I am very sorry about your little guy. From the picture i think it might be an internal ulcer. This is typically caused by bacteria but could also be internal parasite? I had this on my goldfish that i got from wal mart a couple of years ago and it spread through the tank like wild fire. It seems like every 2 or 3 days another one would get it. So yes i would treat the whole tank. I would treat with an strong antibiotic. If you live in Edmonton i will be in tomorrow and maybe we can meet on the west end where i am delivering some fish. I have some almond leaf that works very well especially when combined with commercial medicine. My losses drop noticeably when i use it on an infection like that.

Thanks for the advice, AriahJade. I live in Calgary though, so I'll have to see what my LFS has available. I really don't want to lose the other panda, nor any other fish!

Maybe it's silly, but I feel awful that Dash died. I've been trying so hard to keep my aquariums clean, keep up with proper maintenance, provide balanced diet, everything. I've done tons of research over the last year since I got back into fishkeeping to avoid exactly this kind of thing happening. This last week has been awful though, I sucked up one of my bettas into a gravel vac by accident (fish is okay, thankfully), then one of my neons got beaten up by the other neons, next came the ich outbreak in my 10g, followed by ich on my betta in the 55g, and now this. : ( I guess it's just bad luck and illnesses can still happen no matter how well you try to do things the right way...but it still sucks. : (

When you treated your tank did you add salt? Salt is lethal to a lot of catfish.