problem with bubble tip anemone

windeindoiel

Ok so I bought it on Thursday, and it hasn't really looked good since then. And today it looked like this, which is the worst it has looked yet. It's moved itself under a rock completely out of the light. We've tried to feed it a couple times, and I think it ate yesterday. Is it going to be ok and is there anything I can do to help it?

He looks alright to me. Have you used any iodine supplements? How did you acclimate it? What did you try to feed it?

Bubbles do this all the time. They look like Hell the first little while, then they warm up to the tank.

Edited by little sea

Yes when we picked this guy up we got an idoine supplement as well. We added 2 drops that day, then today we did a water change and we're doing another one when the water is ready tonight so after that we'll add another 2 drops.

The light is about a foot from the water surface. I'll ask Lyder what type of light it is and post when he comes home.

And we tried to feed it frozen prawns from safeway, that had been thawed out in a bowl of aquarium water.

I'm concerned because all it's bubbles look deflated and it's all droopy and not really coming out at all.

Oh also we have 2 tomato clowns that have been using it, which makes me worried they're just adding to the stress.

Honestly, I'd not worry about it. I know he's all deflated right now, but mine at home did that for almost three weeks when I got it home then it became the biggest, baddest bubble ever and they do this in the shop all the time. The base on it still looks big and well anchored. I think it'll be fine.

Ok so the light is a coralife metal halide with moonlights and all sorts of fancy.

And I'll try not to worry about the anemone then, should I keep trying to feed it? And should I maybe flip the rock it's on over so it's on top and in the light again? Or should I trust it to do what's good for it? Do bubbletips have symbiotic algae in them?

Also at the same time we bought a rock covered in star polyps but they haven't been coming out very much. A few of them poke halfway out for some of the day but that's about it. Where should we put these guys?

And thanks for all the help, I'll get this coral and anemone stuff down one day.

The foot does look pretty pale, but it looks like it has lots of colour in the tentacles. And it sounds like you have very adequate lighting - I've read that bubble tips don't like too intense lighting and will usually situate themselves a bit further from the light, and from the behaviour of my own, that seems to be true. All of mine have set themselves up in the lower reaches of the tank and partly into overhangs where they are not completely in the direct light.

As far as it shriveling up and withdrawing from the light goes - hard to tell. Ours are very happy and growing really well but they will shrivel up like that from time to time as well. Also, before they split to produce a daughter anemone they will show the same behaviour. One of our bubble tips has split twice, and we've only had it for about 2 weeks, pretty good, wound up with 3 for the price of one.

Make sure to cut the prawns up quite small, and maybe throw in some bloodworms and brine shrimp. I also soak mine in various coral foods and plankton and amino acid & vitamin supplements.

Oh one more thing, if you feed it by hand can you feel the tentacles gripping your fingers? That and the colour of the anemone seem to be pretty good indications of it's health.

Edited by 2manytanks