Maroon Clown dominance behavior

albert_dao

Ha! Ha! After half an hour of sitting in front of my tank with a camera, I finally got a good long piece of it.

This is a video. On it, you're gonna see a bit of behavior described in literature: the female will dash at the male and the male will arc his body towards the female, sometimes shaking his head. After this, the male will "kiss" the spine of the female and everyone is cool.

I'm assuming this dominance behavior is to both reestablish pair bonding and keep the male from changing sex.

Anyway, without further ado...

Vid.

Umm one quick note. I would only do this if you had a big tank. Maroons chase to kill. Those 2 look to be about the same size which isnt good. One should always be bigger than the other. I am sure you have taken the proper precautions though right. Nice fish. They both look to be fairly large are you sure u will get a pair maybe u should have gotten a smaller one. Also 13 second into the vid there is something in the top left corner pops in and out what is it.

They've actually been paired for over six months. That kind of behavior happens round the clock. Maroons will either kill each other or pair, that's it, there's no median to the behavior. It's not actually pairing that you're seeing there, but rather pair bonding behavior. The actual pairing process involved a lot of nipping and chasing while the two established who would become dominant. That all happened a long while back in my 50 gal refugium (choked with macro algae, I think that helped a bit).

They're in a 25 now btw.

The fish popping up at the top is a tassled filefish, I have three of them in there with the clowns. Everyone is happy except me since I don't have any coral going in that tank yet... Can't win it all and drive home on the same night I suppose, haha.

Rahim, they're at my place at my mom's.

Chris, I use cichlids.ca's webspace all the time. It's basically under my control, haha. I had it set up through an inside hook up with EnertiaSoft so my bandwidth is barely a concern (within reason).

It's Caribsea. As far as I know, Southdown is not available in Canada nor is it a "true" aragonite substrate (mainly calcite).

I'll have more pics of the tank as it starts to fill up and I'm able to actually keeps mollusk alive in it. At this point, there seems to be something leeching from the insulation foam I am using as a background (Great Stuff Insulation Foam) that's killing off the snails. Crustaceans and echinoderms seem happy as far as I can tell. Hopefully, the introduction of carbon, a protein skimmer and a water change will fix this minor problem and help me deal with the diatoms and minor hair algae growth.

If anyone is interested, here are the tank specs:

24" x 12" x 20" 25 Gallon custom tank, drilled

20 Gallon sump with a homemade baffle and plumped with a Mag 700

Pair Gold Strip Maroon Clowns (GSMC's)

Three Tassled Filefish - to be moved to my 72 as soon as they hit the 3" mark

One Electric Blue Hermit

Pair Reef Lobsters which I am going to tenatively identify as Enoplometopus daumi

Three million (give or take a few) small brittle stars

Eventual additions:

The Banana Eel (Gymnothorax melatremus) living in my 72 gal tank sump, perhaps another if I can get one in

The Starki Damsel, also in the aforementioned sump

A Royal Gramma

SUPER ULTIMATE WET DREAM FISH - Paracentropyge boylei aka. Peppermint Angel - I've heard these fish are super hard to keep though, and with an average MONSTER price tag of $700 - $2,000 US a pop, it's gonna take a lot of lying to myself to get one.

I've thought of it the same way. You got your lateral displays, your mouthing, your fin flaring. It's always neat to see parallels in different hobbies eh?

This kind of activity has been at an all time high the last couple days, I'm hoping they might spawn soon so that I'll have some cool pics and bragging rights, ahah.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for all the kind comments, I'll post up some more videos if anything interesting pops up.

... They've been paired for over six months man.

Posted on Nov 25 2004, 01:39 PM

They've actually been paired for over six months. That kind of behavior happens round the clock. Maroons will either kill each other or pair, that's it, there's no median to the behavior. It's not actually pairing that you're seeing there, but rather pair bonding behavior. The actual pairing process involved a lot of nipping and chasing while the two established who would become dominant. That all happened a long while back in my 50 gal refugium (choked with macro algae, I think that helped a bit).

They're in a 25 now btw.

The fish popping up at the top is a tassled filefish, I have three of them in there with the clowns. Everyone is happy except me since I don't have any coral going in that tank yet... Can't win it all and drive home on the same night I suppose, haha.

Rahim, they're at my place at my mom's.

Chris, I use cichlids.ca's webspace all the time. It's basically under my control, haha. I had it set up through an inside hook up with EnertiaSoft so my bandwidth is barely a concern (within reason).

But no, I'm keeping them. haha