breeding crayfish

joeysgreen

Hey guys, when I first joined this forum in September it was to learn a bit about aquatic systems. It has helped a bit, but I'm still runn'n a bit of a problem. I have crayfish, interesting pets, but I'd like to breed them as an additional turtle food source.

I originally bought five, and have kept them in an airated, seclusive and large tank. Still, predictable results and I'm down to two. One has tripled in size and is a monster... I'll get pics shortly. The other is about the same size as when I bought it, but actually gets food more often because it's area of the tank is more accessable for me to drop pellets in. I rarely see the monster, although coincidently he's out and more active of recent.

Thanks for any tips you have on sexing, breeding, and just getting them to flourish as opposed to living.

Ian :)

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys sorry for abandoning my post. It's been a busy holiday season. I thought I had lots of hides, but the big one isn't satisfied with just one or two. Now that I"ve seen how they divide the tank into there territories, I see that the smaller one has the rock stand covered in plastic plants, and the big bastard (his new name :) ) gets under the big rock, on the big rock, in front of it by the glass, and everything to the west... meaningless without pictures I know but the tank is devided about 2/3 to 1/3 for each crayfish. Whenever I grab the camera they've already gone into hiding.

As for the species, the petstore just said they were the everyday, normal crayfish. That's all they could tell me. I kinda wanted better then that in case I needed to replenish breeding stalk, but as of yet, that hasn't been so much of a problem.

Thanks again for any tips, and again for the website link, I've bookmarked it :)

Ian